Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Field 4x5

Re: Tripod for Field 4x5

The heaviest tripod that you can carry would be my recommendation. If you are going to use your field camera hiking or backpacking, then of course a graphite one would be the one of choice. That being the case, try to find one that has a hook on the bottom of the center column so you can carry a bag into which you can place a heavy rock(s) (if available on location) to help stabilize the system (believe me, you will need to someday!).

For studio or home use, look for a used Majestic or really heavy Manfrotto - the heavier the better.

Likewise, I have used a Manfrotto 055 for years, the carbon fiber 3-section version, for all types of photography. It is a nice balance of affordable (esp. used market), usable, light, and stable.

I use the 055 with my Nagaoka wood field 4x5 (~3lb with lens) and with my Sinar F monorail "field" 4x5 (~6lb with lens). For the Nagaoka, I use the Acratech GP ballhead, and for the Sinar, I use the Acratech Large Leveling Base. The head type is more of a limiting factor than the legs when handling weight.

I have used my Sinar P (very heavy, 12+lbs) on the 055 legs, but with the heavy-duty Sinar pan/tilt head. The Sinar P is too heavy for the Acratech GP or LLB, and really, a heavier tripod than the 055 (such as my 13lb mega-Manfrotto 058) feels much better with the heavy Sinar P.

I also have a Manfrotto 190 series in aluminum, and you can definitely use it for a light wooden folding field camera, such as a Nagaoka, Tachihara, Wista, Zone VI, etc. In carbon, it would be about the lightest tripod you could get. In aluminum, it's not that much lighter than the 055 carbon. I wouldn't want to use it for one of the Sinar's though - too top-heavy.

In any case, if you want more stability you can always hang your backpack/shoulderbag on the tripod. This is what I do 90% of the time. For the people saying that you need a heavy tripod for stability, they are working harder, but not smarter. Get a carbon fiber tripod and hang your bag on it.
    -Adam

I've long used a 6 pound (three-axis head included) Tiltall for almost all of my photography. It is a good compromise between light weight and the perhaps sturdier designs. The featherweight tripods may be more rigid when one hangs the camera bag from them.

A 3 series carbon fiber Gitzo (no center column - weighs about 4 lb.) will handle almost anything and is light enough that you will rarely wish you had lighter legs.

If you want to keep the price down the Tiltal recommended by Wilhelm and Jim is a good choice. The head works nicely. Even if you decide at sometime to get an expensive tripod in the future you'll probably want to keep the Tiltal. For me its biggest weakness is that the angle of each of the legs can not be separately set as can be done with the Gitzo.

jeff

I sure like my Feisol 3372 carbon fiber. It's about half the cost (or less?) of similar quality tripods. (One arm, versus one arm and one leg.) Very beefy, yet it weighs under 4lbs. It can easily handle 4x5 or even a lighter 8x10 (e.g. Deardorff v8).

You can read about them at www.feisol.net.

Used tripods can be a great value. Like many things, the devil is in the details. Many tripods I've used, and during my photo assistant days I used quite a few, often have weak points, such as narrow throats, balky leg clamps, parts that catch on everything....

While I use and like a lot of Manfrotto stuff, and I realize that Manfrotto and Gitzo are now one, I greatly prefer Gitzo tripods. The locks are more progressive, secure, resistant to debris, easy to service.... The crown of a Gitzo tripod is larger which leads to very good stability, and there are a lot of accessories available used, such as flat plates, spiked feet, center columns.....

For a Zone VI 4x5, I'd get a used Gitzo series 3 aluminum tripod from about 1990 on. I have one, and it's my most-used tripod. A Gitzo rational series 3 low profile pan/tilt head would be a great match.

The other option, if you want to spend more money, would be a Ries J wooden tripod and head. Super stuff, but expensive. No center column options....

I wouldn't recommend getting a Zone VI tripod. The smaller one just isn't that great. (I had one for many years.) The big one is a terrific tripod, but it's very heavy and bulky, and it's way overkill for a light 4x5 field camera.

I've never used one of the Leitz Tiltalls. I'd love to try one.

I have a small Gitzo carbon fiber tripod for long distance travel. It's certainly lightweight and rigid enough, but as Kirk mentions light weight can = easily blown over.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'd look at some top brands first, like RRS or FLM, and be ready to spend a little more on one of those. Work your way down if it's really out of your price range.
    A tripod is pretty vital to our way of shooting, and you don't want to have to buy a new one every year or so.
    FLM carries a 10-year warranty, RRS's is 5 years, and both companies are very dedicated to having top-notch build quality.
    There are a lot of nice-looking tripods out there from other makers, but none have the solid feel of RRS nor the precision of FLM.

Disclaimer: I am associated with both FLM and Feisol, but not with RRS.

Thanks everyone. Either way I look at it my wife will just roll her eyes at me until I bring up the fact that she just dropped $1000 on two rear tires for her 70s muscle car. The tripod will be a bargain compared to that.

There are a lot of nice-looking tripods out there from other makers, but [...]
    Indeed, I regret buying a pretty wood tripod since the day I put a 34 pound camera on it. Now it is a living room lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by santoroman View Post
    Thanks everyone. Either way I look at it my wife will just roll her eyes at me until I bring up the fact that she just dropped $1000 on two rear tires for her 70s muscle car. The tripod will be a bargain compared to that.
    At least there's a fellow addict who gets you.
    I have to sneak some stuff in through the back door.