Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Field 4x5

Tripod for Field 4x5

So I picked up a new (new to me) Zone VI 4x5 field camera the other day and I've been stuck on which tripod would be the best. I'm not looking to drop my 401K on a new tripod being I just dropped some cash on the camera setup. Thoughts? Suggestions? Lottery numbers? anything would help.

santo

Re: Tripod for Field 4x5

The manfrotto 055, the 190 is to light and unstable for my taste.
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

I think one of the carbon fiber tripods from FLM would be a good lightweight choice.

Kumar

Actually, I would prefer a 190 to a 055 Manfrotto. If you choose a heavy tripod, you give up the advantage of the lightweight camera. A small field camera with a light tripod is a combination you can carry for hours. I use a Berlebach Report with my Tachihara. The wood stays warmer in the winter and cooler in a hot car in the summer, compared to metal.

I crashed my trusty old 055clb a while ago and had to settle for an old similar version of the190. Im not satisfied when using it with the chamonix 45F1 and just barely satisfied with the stability in combination with my RZ67PROII. Id rather have a more stable slightly heavier tripod.
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

A nice, used Tiltall (made by Leica/Leitz) will set you back about $100, and last forever. Built-in head, weighs about 7 pounds.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

My 055 is fine for anything up to a Cambo, but I wish I'd sprung for the graphite version of the same, which I understand is not so resonant. The 055 is six pounds, which I'm getting the idea is about the minimum weight for something aluminum that works. I guess carbon would be lighter, too?

More of a problem for me is heads. I have a couple of nice Manfrotto heads, but they weigh too much. For my Crown view (Graflex wood view) the Manfrotto 056 3-D flip-flop head is adequate, and they make a similar one with a quick-release, too, that's even lighter--the 460mg. That shaves more weight than a lighter tripod would, and is a perfect solution for lighter cameras.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I waited decades before finally getting a good, composite tripod. Very happy with a FEISOL now.

A gitzo 2-series should suit. Something like an older 1228 (4 section) or 1227 (3 section), or a more modern 2530/2531/etc (3 section) or 2541 etc (4 section) or whatever the current version is called. I have used my Chamonix a lot on my 2531, it's a really good match for lightweight use. Get spikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Actually, I would prefer a 190 to a 055 Manfrotto. If you choose a heavy tripod, you give up the advantage of the lightweight camera. A small field camera with a light tripod is a combination you can carry for hours. I use a Berlebach Report with my Tachihara. The wood stays warmer in the winter and cooler in a hot car in the summer, compared to metal.
    The 055 is hardly a heavy tripod (depending on your frame of reference of course ). It is my lightweight tripod for such. I have used one for years hiking with a 4x5 etc. As I have gotten older It has become my go to tripod for everything from DSLR to 4x5. I'm not sure I would use anything lighter for 4x5. See my thread on my broken GG last week.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"