Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Photographs of Historic Buildings

Re: Photographs of Historic Buildings

This is historic Price Memorial on the campus of UNG. I planned this shot out way ahead of time, but it didn't quite work out the way I had hoped. First, the 20-stop ND filter was a bit too much (!). Should've went with a 16.5x I saw offered. I knew that between reciprocity and the light not being consistent as the eclipse happened it would be close, but I figured I had enough leeway to make it work. Well it's way underexposed.

Also, the 3D printed Mercury camera I think had a bit too much slop on the helical focus and light was able to sneak in around the edges, fogging the corners (this is cropped from a horizontal image, it's much worse than presented). I've never had issues before, but neither have I shot a 3+ hour exposure in broad daylight.

Overall, it's identifiable but could've been better. Hopefully, I may get another chance at something similar one day, or better yet I could learn from this and try again just with the sun (not an eclipse). I think the concept is still interesting.

Mercury 4x5 with 47mm XL at f/16, 20x ND, exposed for over 3 hours on T-Max 400:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Jewel Box, North Carolina
    8x10 Portra 160

Old harbor warehouse, Dortmund
    24x18cm ambrotype, 20"f6.3 Wray aerial @f16&12sec

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post

The Jewel Box, North Carolina
    8x10 Portra 160
    Very nice. Love the composition. What lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This is historic Price Memorial on the campus of UNG. I planned this shot out way ahead of time, but it didn't quite work out the way I had hoped. First, the 20-stop ND filter was a bit too much (!). Should've went with a 16.5x I saw offered. I knew that between reciprocity and the light not being consistent as the eclipse happened it would be close, but I figured I had enough leeway to make it work. Well it's way underexposed.

Also, the 3D printed Mercury camera I think had a bit too much slop on the helical focus and light was able to sneak in around the edges, fogging the corners (this is cropped from a horizontal image, it's much worse than presented). I've never had issues before, but neither have I shot a 3+ hour exposure in broad daylight.

Overall, it's identifiable but could've been better. Hopefully, I may get another chance at something similar one day, or better yet I could learn from this and try again just with the sun (not an eclipse). I think the concept is still interesting.

Mercury 4x5 with 47mm XL at f/16, 20x ND, exposed for over 3 hours on T-Max 400:

And yet, I still like the image. It’s an artistic record of the eclipse and one that I would hang on my wall.

Thanks Ben, it's been growing on me in the last week. I'm glad you can see the narrowing of the streak as the eclipse happened.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    Very nice. Love the composition. What lens?
    Thank you

Nikkor SW 150mm or Rodenstock 210mm Sironar W , forgot exactly

Both images shot on 5x7 in the mid 70’s. The detail image is the side of the pictured building. I believe I shot it on 25 asa Adox but could be wrong. Could have been Agfa. The building was located in East TN in a small town but the building has long been torn down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Building A.jpg   Caryville.jpg  

This series was shot around 1969-70 in Knox County Tn. They’re on 5x7 film with a 5x7 Deardorff. I think I used a 90mm f8 Super Angulon on both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Davy Harrican D.jpg   Davy Herrican.jpg  

Both images shot around 1976. The first was in an area called Cruso NC but no longer stands. The second is still standing but empty and is near my home in East Tn.

Both shot on an 8x10 Deardorff with a B&L Protar VIIA with both cells so the FL was around 12”.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greenways 2.jpeg   Cruso NC .jpeg