Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atomic X film - a brief review

Re: Atomic X film - a brief review

I wonder if the reloads would require taping one edge of the film down which would be tricky unless one had IR goggles. If it fit in a sleeve/pocket instead, that would be great, if dust can be controlled as well.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I think I remember a thread from a few years ago by someone who was going to manufacture a "system", but I don't think that ever went to fruition. I suspect this is something devoutly to be wished. The biggest advantage of quick loads for me was the bulk/weight reduction.

Mido cut film holders are still around on the used market. Some like them, others don't. When they fit your style they save a ton of weight and space in the camera bag.

Well, I ordered my two boxes of Atomic X on Saturday, and got them on Wednesday. Pretty quick shipping for across the country. Got 12 sheets loaded in film holders last night.

My Atomic X came inside a folded and taped plastic bag, which was inside a sealed light-proof bag that I had to cut open with scissors, which was inside a white box with a top and bottom half.

Each sheet of film has a protective paper sheet in between it, and on the top and bottom of the stack. The film loads easily and has notches in the corner.

Hopefully I will get some time this evening to go out and shoot.
    -Adam

So it is 5 sheets per box? The HP5 option would be more than $8 per sheet? Am I doing the math right? Seems expensive.

Regards,
    Rob
    My flickr stream

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Well, I ordered my two boxes of Atomic X on Saturday, and got them on Wednesday. Pretty quick shipping for across the country. Got 12 sheets loaded in film holders last night.

My Atomic X came inside a folded and taped plastic bag, which was inside a sealed light-proof bag that I had to cut open with scissors, which was inside a white box with a top and bottom half.

Each sheet of film has a protective paper sheet in between it, and on the top and bottom of the stack. The film loads easily and has notches in the corner.

Hopefully I will get some time this evening to go out and shoot.
    When you say you loaded 12 sheets into holders, are you speaking about the "Quickloads"? Or are you speaking about "bulk" film in boxes? If Quickloads, why do you have to load them into holders (aside from ultimately loading them into Polaroid 545 for exposure? Perhaps I do not understand how their pre-loaded film works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    So it is 5 sheets per box? The HP5 option would be more than $8 per sheet? Am I doing the math right? Seems expensive.

Regards,
    Rob
    Yes, hard to figure out how film costing about $1.25 in 100 sheet boxes becomes $8.50. I appreciate this is the only game in town and they are not "making it up on volume", but that's a serious price. OTOH, if the "holders" can really be reused without too much hassle, cost could be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    Yes, hard to figure out how film costing about $1.25 in 100 sheet boxes becomes $8.50. I appreciate this is the only game in town and they are not "making it up on volume", but that's a serious price. OTOH, if the "holders" can really be reused without too much hassle, cost could be reduced.
    Atomic X is regular 4x5 sheet film, 25 sheets per box for $29.95.

It is NOT the polaroid-style New55 film:
    http://shop.new55.net/collections/fr...tic-sheet-film

When you say you loaded 12 sheets into holders, are you speaking about the "Quickloads"? Or are you speaking about "bulk" film in boxes? If Quickloads, why do you have to load them into holders (aside from ultimately loading them into Polaroid 545 for exposure? Perhaps I do not understand how their pre-loaded film works.

Thanks
    Since Atomic X is just regular sheet film, I loaded it into my 4x5 Fidelity Elite film holders in a dark bathroom, just like any other film.
    -Adam

Thanks for clarifying. I guess things got jumbled: they are also selling "quickload-type" film (not the polaroid type) in 5-sheet boxes with prices for the boxes running about $40-60 per 5-sheet box, depending on emulsion chosen. One of the options is Atomic X. Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks for clarifying. I guess things got jumbled: they are also selling "quickload-type" film (not the polaroid type) in 5-sheet boxes with prices for the boxes running about $40-60 per 5-sheet box, depending on emulsion chosen. One of the options is Atomic X. Sorry for any confusion!
    Oh interesting. I didn't know they made the quickloads in more types now. Yeah, those do seem pretty high priced for what they are.
    -Adam