Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150mm (ish) Lens Recommendations? Graflex Super Graphic

150mm (ish) Lens Recommendations? Graflex Super Graphic

So I'm in the market for a normal lens for my Super Graphic. I have the Optar 135mm but the shutter speeds are all about 3 stops too fast. So I'm thinking of just buying a more modern lens to replace it. I don't want an expensive apo lens, I'd like to spend between $200-300. I've seen the Nikkor 150 5.6 and the Fujinon 150 5.6 in this range, but I don't know anything about them.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Re: 150mm (ish) Lens Recommendations? Graflex Super Graphic

For that budget you can easily find a 150mm Symmar S or Sironar N or the Caltar re-badged equivalents bith superb lenses. When you've been a member here for a month which I assume will be soon you can place a WTB advert.

Ian

my 150 is a heliar I stuck into a copal 1 from some polaroid lens deal

probably about 300 total - great lens, modernish shutter

I've seen APO Symmars sell in that range - I bought mine for $250 IIRC. But pretty much any newer lens from the Big 4 will be about the same. Or for a more classic look a 15cm Tessar will cost you about $100 or less.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

There's nothing wrong with the Optar 135mm -- it's an excellent 4 element Tessar type lens. I don't understand what you mean that the shutter speeds are too fast?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the Optar 135mm -- it's an excellent 4 element Tessar type lens. I don't understand what you mean that the shutter speeds are too fast?
    I would like to keep it and not buy a new lens. But when I shoot I need to open the lens up around three stops to get a proper exposure based off my meter readings. When it is set for one second and I fire the shutter you can tell it is fast, not to mention I found some spring rolling around in the housing.

The last Super Graphics were made many years ago, so it's apparently time for a repair person to service and calibrate your shutter. Should cost $50-100. (I recommend Carol at Flutot's -- Google it).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I'm a big fan of the 135mm length so I replaced the Optar on my Super Graphic, that was also having shutter issues, with a Nikkor-W 135mm. Great lens and it falls into your price range.

Caltar II-N 150/5.56 in a nice small Copal 0 shutter would fit the bill and pocketbook nicely.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    The last Super Graphics were made many years ago, so it's apparently time for a repair person to service and calibrate your shutter. Should cost $50-100. (I recommend Carol at Flutot's -- Google it).
    Thank you. I'll consider repairing it. Kinda at the cross roads of replace/repair...