Thread: New to LF, Q's about Burke and James system.

New to LF, Q's about Burke and James system.

I have recently purchased a Burke & James "Grover" model wooden camera, it is a 5x7 monorail, with a poorly functioning packard shutter and has a barrel mounted 190mm F4.6 wollensak raptor lens (that is scratched). I will be shooting portra its and landscapes and I am in search of the mystical LF clarity. I would like t o change the lens and shutter system into one that would give me more control in stead of the fixed f-stop and shutter speed I have now. Keep in mind that I paid less than a $100 for this system and I would like to keep the cost under $300 f or a used configuration. Any help or recommendations will gratefully accepted, t hanks.

New to LF, Q's about Burke and James system.

There are dozens of lenses out there that fit your requirements. Since you'll get many opinions, I'll just tell you about the one I have.

Earlier his year I refurbished an Ansco 5x7 that belonged to my grandfather. It also had a old Packard and a barrel mounted lens. Around the same time I saw a 210mm f6.3 Computar Symmetrigon (made by Kowa) mounted in a Copal #1 shutter at a camera swapmeet for $260. I asked around on the web (here and the large format newsgroup) about it, and it has a pretty good reputation. It has large coverage, 308mm, plenty for 5x7. I then saw the same lens listed at KEH in bargain condition for $ 215. I bought it, and when it arrived, I was VERY pleasantly surprised as it was in near mint shape! I've shot a few 4x5 chromes with it, and it's very sharp and contrasty.

However, the prices range widely for this lens - I've seen it as low as $215, and as high as $600! They come up on Ebay from time to time and sell for around $300. The is also a 180mm f6.3.