Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaf Shutter Speedometer Project

Re: Leaf Shutter Speedometer Project

What about building a photo-voltaic detector and electronics for the shutter tester into an old Kodak film pack holder? Would there be enough volume there? It would make a durable and convenient package for field use.

Another question: I am not clear on the x-synch approach. What plugs into the PC fitting on the shutter? Is there a blue box with electronic components or does the smart phone plug right in?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

That little scope is very cool. I'm going to buy one myself.
    http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-2...pe-dso202.html

Drew, as I suggested to you privately, if you must measure the light transmission through the lens, a digital body on an adapter for the view camera and a gray card will do it. Using the X-synch approach, the circuit would essentially be a digital stop watch that starts on contact make and stops on contact break.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    What about building a photo-voltaic detector and electronics for the shutter tester into an old Kodak film pack holder? Would there be enough volume there? It would make a durable and convenient package for field use.
    I like this idea.
    My flickr stream

Put one of these in back of the shutter and one of these in front. Program an Arduino (or other micro controller) to capture the interval.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    That little scope is very cool. I'm going to buy one myself.
    http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-2...pe-dso202.html
    I agree, finally something affordable, tiny and it seems we can add a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Neal, I prefer your idea. Setting up the photovoltaic tester takes time, and is not really something you could do int he field. On the other hand, the iphone tester that works off sound is easy to use in the field, and maybe accurate enough for our needs?

Randy, what kind of sync are you using on your Packard? All I have is a piece of bare stranded copper wire that the piston

hits at full extension. It took about ten minutes to make with hot glue, and looks it, but it fires reliably.
    Mine is similar and has been working well but put a beautiful model in front and it failed to trigger as expected. It did flash my 4 strobes, but maybe late. I need to find the problem. I will. Thanks for suggestions. The same strobes worked perfectly with exact same DSLR settings. Check my tiny format portrait I just posted.

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    Put one of these in back of the shutter and one of these in front. Program an Arduino (or other micro controller) to capture the interval.
    Or just use an Arduino and a simple photocell it should pick up ambient light enough to get a response, especially if yout put a flashlight in front of the shutter. You may need to find a photocell with a high enough response though.

Ive got an o scope like that. Handy but battery life is poor. Keep a phone charger nearby. Put a small inductor inline and that should provide a good trigger pulse.

Sain Smart and others have produced a variety of such devices, some even less expensive than the model linked to in post 9. Many of these are used in conjunction with a laptop. I haven't seen enough information or reviews yet to even guess if they would be the basis of an effective shutter speed tester. My choice would be a triggered sweep oscilloscope with a light sensor. This can check between-the-lens and most focal plane shutters for effective speed, flash sync delay, shutter bounce, and other characteristics. 43 years ago, while in a remote overseas location, I used a basic Heathkit X-Y scope for most of these tests. Accuracy was excellent.