Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod heads for 8x10 monorail

Tripod heads for 8x10 monorail

O.k., I am surprised. My Arca B2 doesn't handle my Linhof Kardan 8x10 monorails at close-focus. Neither the GTL nor the Color. They balance o.k. at infinity, but the B2 doesn't cut it for table top. What am I going to do now? 15 series low level Gitzo? Bogen geared head? Ries big geared head? I am using a 15 series Gitzo, which seems quite stable. Or am I going to get one of those Foba studio tripods? Or a big Linhof tripod with one of their tilt heads?

I am kind-of disappointed because I have now mounted all my photographic gear on those slick Arca Swiss type plates, but it looks like I am stuck for 8x10. There are those long Arca plates out there, and I guess the optimum head for me would be one with a longer base and more rigidity to accept those long mounting plates. Seems obvious, but nobody seems to be making them.

Anyway, I still need to mount my Kardans on a tripod. What am I going to do? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

You need a Majestic head http://www.bencher.com/photo/gearheads.php and you probably want to think about a solid studio stand as opposed to a tripod. Definitely look at the Majestic. They are way too big and heavy for the field but I wouldn't use anything else in the studio.

What kind of tripod legs do you have? I would suggest a Rise head, as I can stand on my J250 and it doesn't budge, but the lack of a pano base could be a problem if you don't like moving your entire tripod to rotate the camera. Not a problem on Ries legs, but otherwise a bit of a fix.

I really need to read more thoroughly....or more soberly. Perhaps there's a beefy pano base you could put on a Ries head?

Tom,
    As a fellow Kardan user my suggestion is the Linhof LEVELLING PAN/TILT HEAD 77
    #003667 the profile rail dovetails right into this head. I use mine on a Majestic and I could hang off of it. It's expensive new, but you can get them used for around $200. I've even seen them go for next to nothing on Ebay.

You might consider changing cameras, versus heads. That 8x10 Kardan is heavy, if I remember right. Is that the one with the 2-3inch rail that weighs a ton?

I had the Calumet C 8x10 and swapped it for a Kodak 2D. Much lighter camera, and it works just fine on my 4x5 tripod.

Linhog PROFI Pan Head easily handles it.

I believe Really right Stuff or Kirk enterprises make long Arca-Swiss compatible QR clamps. If you don't needto tilt horizontally to level the base , A Sinar pan Tilt head is on of the best LF heads I've found . The Majestic heads with a 5"x7' plate is also an excellent choice.

Since you are doing macro work with an 8x10 , I assume that you have some very long extention going on. My solution for this in 4x5 and when I used a 6x17cm V-pan was to supportthe camera in two places, under the rear standard and a maller support near the front standard with strongest support (in your case the B2) underneath the rear standard and a lighter support underthe lens. if you have a second tripod block that is the easiest way to do it but if you don't you can improvise how this secondary leg set supports the front end ofthe camera..

The idea comes from an old Andreas Feininger book where he used a bi-pod leg set that pivots off of two of the tripod legs and has a simple lightweight head that atsupports the camera under the lens. I have also used a one leg variant on thios idea using a Bogen Super Clamp to attach to one tripod leg combined with a Bogen Magic Arm + camera plate that the front end of the monorail is supported by.

If the extention is long enough, and your need critical enough, you can even use a second tripod.

I had a Gitzo 13xx low profile head (with Gitzo legs) that worked fine for my lightweight 8x10. Till I lost the tripod and replaced it with a Ries, which I find an irritating hassle to deal with (many will disagree). I think the 15 low profile would be more than adequate for your needs. Or the non-low profile equivalent. Of course the ball vs. 3-way question comes into play.