Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: super angulon enigma

super angulon enigma

Hi.

A friend allowed be to borrow his 4x5 outfit. It includes a 90mm schneider super angulon in a prontor press shutter. The question is this: how does one set aperture? Shutter speeds are marked, but there are no aperture marks. I noticed the lens is inscribed: 1:8/65. What gives?

super angulon enigma

If the lens is inscribed 1:8/65 I'd say you actually have a 65mm lens and not a 90 as to the aperture part of the question I'm stumped, but I have never seen a prontor press so can't comment.

super angulon enigma

Oops...sorry...65mm...don't know what I was thinkin' about. But still....there are no aperture marks. Strange, huh?

super angulon enigma

It sounds like someone had the 65mm cells and they just screwed into this shutter. You might try estimating the apperture settings or follow one of the threads for determining the correct apperture settings. This also assumes the cells are properly aligned for this shutter. You might also try the lens at the largest and smallest appertures and see how the pictures turnout.

super angulon enigma

Very weird: one possibility is that said lens originally had a different shutter that has somhow become disfunctional and the original owner instead of having it fixed found that the lens would screw directly inot a protor press that they had salvaged from somewhere. That's the only thing i can think of. Have fun

super angulon enigma

I have the SA 65/8 and it comes with a synchro compur 00 shutter.

super angulon enigma

Is there POLAROID written on the face of the shutter? There is a version of Prontor Press shutters specifically made for Polaroid copy cameras, and these do not have the aperture diaphragm.

There are usually a few lenses (Tominon, Ysaron, and such) came off Polaroids on e*ay. An example is here. It does have aperture setting but looks goofy (like a cross between taking and enlarging lenses). How does one set the aperture after it's on the camera...?

I also found a thread with a reference to this issue: largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/232264.html. Do text search for "MP-4" to read Jim Galli's post.

I have a lens with Prontor Press, but it has the diaphragm. Possibly someone got stuck with a SA with a shot shutter and remounted the elements. Hope I'm making sense...

super angulon enigma

Now I realized that you wrote "no aperture MARKS." Does it have the aperture and the control lever with a pointer? In that case I'm not sure why. The aperture in the shutter is a later addition or the glued/screwed-on marking fell off, maybe?

super angulon enigma

Not a polaroid shutter.

Does have pointer/control lever--opens/closes lens, but cannot deterrmine aperture setting--no marks.

super angulon enigma

Um, Percy, for a slight fee your friendly neighborhood photographer's machinist will engrave an aperture scale on the shutter. My fnpm has a web site, www.skgrimes.com

Cheers,

Dan