Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal project : People Of HSCT

Re: Personal project : People Of HSCT

Sergei,

Excellent! Keep the project update, I really find it a terrific idea for a project and its being driven superbly by you,

Cheers,

Renato

Thank you, Renato.

(i still can't find negative set from one of people.. looks like i was so overloaded on first day, that i might have leave holder at the hospital . too late to recover now, but it means road trip in future to get her portrait).

What is HSCT?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    What is HSCT?
    An extremely dangerous stem-cell transplant procedure used to treat terminal/untreatable illnesses. In order for the transplant to succeed, it often requires knocking down the patient's immune system to zero during the treatment. Consequently, there are numerous complications that can arise, even just from a common cold.

My friend who works in HSCT describes it as "the last stop at the end of the line". That is, you need to be really, really, really ill before a doctor will consider it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemato...ransplantation
    -Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    What is HSCT?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    An extremely dangerous stem-cell transplant procedure used to treat terminal/untreatable illnesses. In order for the transplant to succeed, it often requires knocking down the patient's immune system to zero during the treatment. Consequently, there are numerous complications that can arise, even just from a common cold.

My friend who works in HSCT describes it as "the last stop at the end of the line". That is, you need to be really, really, really ill before a doctor will consider it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemato...ransplantation

HSCT is regiment that is been safely used for over than decade and half to treat various autoimmune diseases to stop progression. It is also used for treating cancer and now in trials for diabetic people.

It consist of chemo therapy to knock out immune system and then infusion of stem cells, gathered from adult donor.

As far as as calling it "extremely dangerous".

It is not walk in park. For cancer patients, because they have to take someone else's cells it is extremely high risk. Rejection is quite a possibility. But my brother, who died of leukemia at age of 13 (his father was amongst people who helped to put "sarcophagus" on the Chernobyl's station after it exploded to limit radiation at least somewhat) might have had a chance. Which he didn't.

For MS patients it offers lesser risks (they use own cells). Rejection cases are extremely rare so far.

It takes a single brain lesions to stop you from breathing. And that lesion might pop in at any given second. People don't like to talk about it. And doctors don't like to tell you that. But its terminal disease that can kill you at any second. And it slowly kills every single diagnosed person anyway. I seen my wife going from person who was walking with me in park for miles into person who can't walk through few steps without needing support and tiring out right away over period of year, when her progression increased. So yeah.. Its a dangerous option. But its an option vs just giving up and waiting for death, fading away. And for many of them it is end of the line. No drug so far been invented to fully stop this. And all of them are riddled with horrible side effects.

There was a reason why i started this project. And that is to actually bring people attention to all these people. And to the way that stops progression of the disease that eats away people's lives.

(sorry if i sound defensive or aggressive, no offense meant)

I met Sergei's wife Lana when she was here for Doctor interview. Sergei was not here. Lana is very brave woman and has been all her life. Lana and I had dinner and talked for hours. She told me her extremely interesting life. We became friends. I met Sergei later.

I weep when I read of HSCT and pray for the best.

God Bless both Lana and Sergei.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I met Sergei's wife Lana when she was here for Doctor interview. Sergei was not here. Lana is very brave woman and has been all her life. Lana and I had dinner and talked for hours. She told me her extremely interesting life. We became friends. I met Sergei later.

I weep when I read of HSCT and pray for the best.

God Bless both Lana and Sergei.
    Thanks, Randy. We just been to Chicago for couple days, a bit of short notice this time, but we have superb news - progression stopped. And Lana got vision back in right eye After 10 years, man..

I am very glad to hear that Sergei - I meany no offense at all; my experience is with late-stage bone cancer patients getting transplants from other donors where rejection is a major risk... the survival rate is very low... Not so with MS thankfully. Best wishes for you and your wife!
    -Adam