Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to try large format again but have questions

Want to try large format again but have questions

I had dabbled a little with a 4X5 Crown Graphic and developed my own negatives but I wasn't very good at it, but I think I want to play a little more. I have access to a RB Home Portrait 5X7 camera and I thought maybe if I go with xray film my mistakes won't be so costly. But now I am thinking that if I'm going to try again why not go for it all with 8X10. So my next question is what's a good way to start with 8X10? I have been thinking of maybe an old wooden camera that's in good condition so I can also display it when not in use. Preferably a camera that cost around $400 if that's possible.
    Am I dreaming?

I forgot to add that I can also get a Seneca 8x10 that has some minor pinholes and is missing some hardware to lock the rear into position and looks like it wouldn't take much to complete it if I could find the parts.

Re: Want to try large format again but have questions

$400 can be done. But what was wrong with your 4x5"? It might be a good idea to work out those bugs first before buying more equipment. Most of the time, the problem is not the camera. My experience: The bigger the format, the bigger the possibilities to mess up.

I have a b&j 8x10 that came to me in that price range without lens. Do not forget the higher cost of tripod and film holders for that format, where 4x5 is substantially more affordable. Consider all system costs. Results come from practice not dabbling or dreaming.

multiplex

you can fix pinholes with India ink and white gloo. and if you don't have the slotted holders or 5x7 bag mag, it
    will be hard to use those fun cameras.

have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    $400 can be done. But what was wrong with your 4x5"? It might be a good idea to work out those bugs first before buying more equipment. Most of the time, the problem is not the camera. My experience: The bigger the format, the bigger the possibilities to mess up.
    The 4X5 is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    you can fix pinholes with India ink and white gloo. and if you don't have the slotted holders or 5x7 bag mag, it
    will be hard to use those fun cameras.

have fun !
    There are 3 or 4 proper film holders for the 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I have a b&j 8x10 that came to me in that price range without lens. Do not forget the higher cost of tripod and film holders for that format, where 4x5 is substantially more affordable. Consider all system costs. Results come from practice not dabbling or dreaming.
    If I use xray film the cost of 8x10 is low. I have a tripod but would need film holders.

Go for it! Why not. Either 8x10 or 5x7.

There is nothing wrong if you decide to start with 8x10".
    But from a practical point of view I`d shoot 4x5" or 5x7". If you`re in a budget, the 8x10" choice is a bit risky to my taste. You`ll be very limited... but in the other hand, you only need a camera, a lens and a film holder to enjoy. Or a pinhole. Or made your own wet plates, I way prefer them over over any kind of film.
    Again, the 8x10" thing is quite limiting. X-ray film may be cheap (not so much around here), but 4x5" sheet are cheaper and ready to use. Everything else is also much cheaper.
    Maybe the most important thing.... Do you have an enlarger? Personally, 4x5" and 5x7" are too small for a contact print. If you don`t plan to enlarge, I`d directly get a 8x10" to print by contact. If you`re a bit handy, you could shoot out of almost anything.
    Funny... looks like you have some kind of "LFworm"...

It's possible to pick up an 8x10 for cheap, but you have to be really devoted and diligent to find one for that money. My Agfa-Ansco cost me $120; I found holders for $25 each. Lenses were a little more, though. I have a little bit of everything in cameras, but 35mm and 8x10 get the most use, followed by 5x7, but I am scanning and printing digitally, not contact printing.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear