Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Film, etc. from Japan

multiplex

Re: Film, etc. from Japan

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Posted with moderator approval

Over the years, I have helped a few members get film from Japan, because those particular films are not available in their countries. Now, I'd like to start this as a formal small business venture. But before doing so, I would appreciate hearing from members.

I won't be able to get film from Fuji direct. I'll have to buy from places like Yodobashi, where the film is stored properly, and prices are generally stable. There are other places where film may be cheaper, but I'm a bit wary, since they seem to keep changing prices, or store film in inappropriate conditions. Yodobashi also ships film through "Cool Takyubin", which is shipping in a refrigerated van.

Pricing will be 5% above the price (in red numbers) you see at www.yodobashi.com plus shipping. That small margin allows for Paypal fees, packing and handling. The smaller yellow numbers are the 10% points I get, and represent my profit. Shipping will be only through JapanPost EMS, and the table can be found here: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/cha...ms_all_en.html
    An 8x10 film box weighs about 600 grams, and shipped weight is about 900 grams. 4x5 is 175 grams, with shipping weight of about 450 grams.

How will it work?
    Check www.yodobashi.com and confirm the price. Send me an email at uchinomishiharai@gmail.com with your requirements. I add 5% plus shipping costs to your destination, and send you an invoice. You pay the invoice, and I order from Yodobashi. When the film arrives, I package and ship it, either the same or the next business day. While it is in my possession, the film will be refrigerated.

Later on, if volumes increase substantially, I will set up a proper web store.

I welcome your thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kumar
    fantastic news,
    best of luck wtih your business venture !
    john

Re: Film from Japan

Looks good!
    Tin Can

Some film prices, most notably Acros, have been increased. For those of you who find it difficult to navigate the Yodobashi site, here is a pdf of the most popular films/sizes, along with sample shipping costs.

Thanks,
    Kumar

I am glad to inform the community that Toyo has made changes to their 4x5 film holders to resolve the problems reported here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-4x5-negatives

The new Toyo CH45II (AL) 4x5 film holders have aluminum dark slides. They are priced at 4,660 JPY each at Yodobashi. However, I am offering them at 8,400 JPY per pack of two holders, plus EMS shipping.

Kumar

Hi Kumar,

I'll take 6 of the new ones if you please. PM sent. Thanks.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I am glad to inform the community that Toyo has made changes to their 4x5 film holders to resolve the problems reported here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-4x5-negatives

The new Toyo CH45II (AL) 4x5 film holders have aluminum dark slides. They are priced at 4,660 JPY each at Yodobashi. However, I am offering them at 8,400 JPY per pack of two holders, plus EMS shipping.

Kumar
    Hi Kumar,

Can you ask Toyo what production runs had the defective dark slides and whether or not the 8x10 holders were affected. Also, is it possible to replace just the dark slide in the affected holders and whether or not they will be supplying the new AL dark slides for replacement.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas, I confirmed that the 8x10 holders are not affected. I will ask for the answers to your other questions.

Kumar

Thanks!

Thomas

I heard from Toyo this morning, and they have confirmed the following:

1. Some Toyo 4x5 holders sold around March 2016 had faulty dark slides.
    2. The new aluminum dark slides will fit the older holders (II and CH45M), and will be supplied as replacements, if needed.
    3. 8x10 holders are not affected.

Kumar

Thank you for following-up on this for me Kumar. I purchased all 4x5 Toyo holders new prior to 2015 and while I do not leave them out exposed to sunlight I have never noticed "spots" appearing on any negative. Same with a set of 5 8x10 holders which I purchased new about 2 years back.

Thanks again for the follow-up.

Thomas