Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: North Rim Grand Canyon AIR

Re: North Rim Grand Canyon AIR

Forget Josephs in Santa Rosa.....go down the street a bit more for the Comet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Warm days up on the rim. Cooler mornings and nights. One lecture down at the main lodge. So far just cloudless skies. Getting to meet many folks. Big cameras always draw a crowd.

Shot an interior....in a cave! Committed to bigger shots. Many long views off the rim. So far, very light to blue filtration.

Attachment 151527
    I really like #3. Normally I want to see crystal clear views of the canyon, but somehow this one really appeals. I expect a real print, excuse me, an actual print, will do it much justice.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

My wife and I might be touring the Southwest during Oct 15-30th. What are the advantages and disadvantages of going to the South rim vs. the North rim during this period?

Drew Wiley

The North Rim will likely have the quaking aspen turning color sometime in Sept or Oct, plus the distinct possibility of some snow on the ground, but it's a LONG drive for the gamble, with the distinct risk of the aspen already being bare, and maybe even the road closed due to snow. Very few facilities will be open, and some of the towns en route can be distinctly hostile to outsiders. As usual, always always always have sleeping bags, warm gear, and extra food and water along. It can get seriously cold in that part of the world. The south rim is much more developed with ample accommodations, gas, and supplies, yet will be past the obnoxious summer tour bus season with its mobs. If you seek fall color in that neighborhood, you'll have San Francisco Peaks and Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff. So my recommendation is obviously the somewhat lower South Rim that time of year. But if you do decide on the North Rim instead, just keep your options open, and if it doesn't work out, you can head north up toward Kanab and classic Utah red rock country, including potentially dropping into Zion Park.

Depends on where else you are going. Oct 15 is generally regarded as the closing date at the North Rim, though things do go on on through November for staff. October can be warm in the region depending on altitude. In my opinion, North Rim vastly preferable to the South, but is off the beaten path. 205 miles from North to South Rim.

Page, Bluff, Moab, Monument Valley, et, all on the North and East side of the Grand Canyon. Canyon de Chelly to the East Where are you flying in?

I was at the North Rim 2 weeks ago and loved the area. Was only there for 1 1/2 days and I had to stay at Jacob's Lake 50 miles away. Would have loved to have stayed a night closer at the lodge but that was all that was available when I booked even back in February. The distance scenes were very hazy but I liked the views from the drive to Point Imperial but did not make it to Cape Royal. I did bit of a hike down on the Supai trail and also part of the Widforss trail from which found a nice viewpoint to where I returned late afternoon to try and get the lower sun, the only shots I took. I would have liked to have experienced very early morning and evening but you need to be stay closer to enjoy that. I also forgot about 2 forest roads I read about when planning my trip about halfway between Jacob Lake and the rim which give you two other view points.

I also liked the meadow and forest driving toward the rim and the the fact that with the extra height compared to the South rim there are a many more trees. I drove the South Rim road and the views are more open but didn't stop in the centre, actually the parking was full and after the peacefulness of the North the large crowds was not for me.

From another forum I got some tips for photo scenes around Flagstaff and drove from there to Leup one late afternoon. The sun was behind reflecting off the straw coloured grass contrasting with dark clouds and rain in the distance with light highlighting a distant canyon top. I was crying to find a spot to stop and photograph and finally did get one.

I loved Canyon de Chelly, it's on a more manageable scale, the Grand Canyon is quite foreboding. I would have loved to have stayed there at least another night too and do a guided trek in the morning. The colours are lovely with the contrast of the green, winding valley floor. Thunderbird Lodge is in a pleasant, relaxing setting just at the start the rim drive. Well worth visit and took many more photos.

The North Rim Lodge is almost always booked....but almost always has cancellations. Some friends came out to see us through the middle of my AIR- they had to book at Jacobs Lake, but by the time they arrived I had put together a complete stay at the lodge, (in the same room even), just by cobbling it together one night at a time out of cancellations. You can also camp free in "dispersed camping" along many of the roads in the National Forest there.

Film not finished. Just starting some proofing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	152265
    Point Imperial.

Name:	IMG_4854.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	152266
    Cape Royal.

Looks like I labeled those exactly backwards.

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	152346
    This is my last day there working just off the Bright Angel Trail.

Looks like a good trip Robert, we're glad you came to AZ!