Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coating a Cooke Portrait Lens, is there any benefit?

Coating a Cooke Portrait Lens, is there any benefit?

I'm wondering if there is any benefit in coating my Servies VI Cooke Portrait lens to do colour photography. I've received a cost from Cooke which is prohibitive in itself but still the notion of coating it has raised the issue of whether it would be beneficial or not beneficial. That is, is there something about the lens taking ability or design that makes it a nonsense to coat just to be able to shoot colour as well. For instance might it diminish the quality or appearance of b&w images if you coat the lens. Or is soft focus photography in colour unusual, difficult for a particular reason which makes it unrealistic to consider doing.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Coating a Cooke Portrait Lens, is there any benefit?

Coating the lens will reduce lens flare, increase the contrast a bit, and keep the shadows a little cleaner, whether b/w or color. That's about it. Whether that's important to you depends mostly on you.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I have a 1870s Dallmeyer Petzval that I had coated 10 years ago when AraxFoto in the Ukraine was doing it very cheaply. The balsam had completely failed, so it had little value, and sending it to AraxFoto was a fun experiment. The lens can back multicoated and recemented. I can't tell you the unique differences to this lens, as it wasn't usable before, but in comparison to a similar lens (same size, same era, same model), it is noticeably more contrasty and flare resistant. The contrast does remove some of the typical "period" look, but that is about it. I would think that coating might remove some of the typical "Cooke" look which seems to be about gray scale.

Mark's right. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. One of the reasons to shoot old lenses is that they produce a different look than current ones.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks guys for your thoughts. Which leads me to the next question, if the lens is coated just how much of that antique/period look will it lose in the b&w images which is where I gather the change is most noticeable. It's probably a subjective question but what is the feeling. Does it all of a sudden produce images that look nothing like they once did, or are we talking narrow margins of difference with a similar but not the same result.

If the lens surfaces have a slight tarnish/oxidation (bloom) that you can see, that is already a form of lens coating...

If the surfaces have a whitish haze, that cuts contrast a lot, but can often be cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner to clear again...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    If the lens surfaces have a slight tarnish/oxidation (bloom) that you can see, that is already a form of lens coating...

If the surfaces have a whitish haze, that cuts contrast a lot, but can often be cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner to clear again...

Steve K
    When it arrived I had the lens cleaned professionally because the glass was a mess, I'm assuming that it should have little of what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin D View Post
    I'm wondering if there is any benefit in coating my Servies VI Cooke Portrait lens to do colour photography. I've received a cost from Cooke which is prohibitive in itself
    Have you shot a box of color film with the lens? If so, do you miss a coating? Are the images inferior? If the images are OK, you can save yourself the investment. What do you need to achieve? You sound like you don't know what you can expect from coating.

How do do process your images? If you scan your negatives and continue in Photoshop, you can fix a lot of issues of an uncoated lens in post production. You can add contrast and saturation, but you can't (easily) fix lens flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Have you shot a box of color film with the lens? If so, do you miss a coating? Are the images inferior? If the images are OK, you can save yourself the investment. What do you need to achieve? You sound like you don't know what you can expect from coating.

How do do process your images? If you scan your negatives and continue in Photoshop, you can fix a lot of issues of an uncoated lens in post production. You can add contrast and saturation, but you can't (easily) fix lens flare.
    You're right, I haven't shot with it in colour but have been meaning to do so just to see. From what I've read previously though I thought uncoated lenses did something weird to colours, but then again I've never tried it to see for myself.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The coatings are only to reduce reflections from lens surfaces, especially the internal air-glass surfaces.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."