Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: positive/slide images on ULF

positive/slide images on ULF

Hi all, a while back the person who sold me my first 4x5 camera said he wanted to switch to 11x14, shoot slide stock, and then just mount it to a light box with no scanning. Is this even possible now? I don't see that anyone/Fuji even makes positive film stock in any ULF size. Is that correct? thx

Re: positive/slide images on ULF

Correct.
    Fuji is the only company making LF transparency film. I haven't seen 11x14 from fuji since Badger Graphic did a special order od Provia several years ago. Good luck getting fuji to answer your questions, they couldn't care less!

If you are content with b&w you could contact print Arista Ortho Litho to get your slide. Alternatively, look up Dufay Color process - you could inkjet print your color mask and layer it in a sandwich with your positive transparency.

I could have Fuji do a special order in 11x14 but it would have to be a BIG order.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

You can reverse B&W film at home: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=reversal

Thomas

Thanks, more of a curiosity. I get my developing done at a lab, they won't do reversal on BW film, I asked. I am going to start by just shooting 4x5 and getting clear Fuji prints made. I was just weighing the idea of direct film display on a light box, but it seems it would not be as easy as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I could have Fuji do a special order in 11x14 but it would have to be a BIG order.
    Like $100,000 worth, or are we talking about Kodak/Alaris special-order MOQ #'s(around $14-15,000)?

You may have trouble finding a lab that can process E-6 11x14 sheets. Possibly some dip and dunk machines can accommodate that size, I don't know for sure. It may take a little bit of searching to find a lab.

I need to judiciously choose my set ups for 8x10 color film due to its cost. 11x14 color film is going to be more expensive, especially when you add in processing. 11x14 B&W film costs me plenty as it is, and I need to be very particular about deciding when to expose a sheet.

Btw, large format color positives are more accurately called color transparencies. Slides are film mounted in a rigid mount for projection. I learned that after getting to know a professional processing lab back when they processed literally hundreds of 8x10 E-6 transparencies per day for a large corporate customer.

AZ Photo Lab, also known as Aker Imaging, in Houston TX can process up to 8x10. They provide pricing for up to 4x5, but they told me they will handle 8x10 if you ask.