Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: positive/slide images on ULF

Re: positive/slide images on ULF

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Like $100,000 worth, or are we talking about Kodak/Alaris special-order MOQ #'s(around $14-15,000)?
    As my contacts take my questions seriously I would only ask if you were serious at $10,000-$15,000. But I could ask.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    You may have trouble finding a lab that can process E-6 11x14 sheets. Possibly some dip and dunk machines can accommodate that size, I don't know for sure. It may take a little bit of searching to find a lab.

I need to judiciously choose my set ups for 8x10 color film due to its cost. 11x14 color film is going to be more expensive, especially when you add in processing. 11x14 B&W film costs me plenty as it is, and I need to be very particular about deciding when to expose a sheet.

Btw, large format color positives are more accurately called color transparencies. Slides are film mounted in a rigid mount for projection. I learned that after getting to know a professional processing lab back when they processed literally hundreds of 8x10 E-6 transparencies per day for a large corporate customer.
    Praus will do it, $15/11x14 sheets of E-6

Excellent and highly recommended. He'a done all my 8x10 E-6 until this year when I got a JOBO. Now I just send the really important stuff that I'm scared of screwing up, because I trust him more than me.

http://www.4photolab.com/pricing/

Be careful with using transparency film originals for illuminated display. I'm not sure from reading the OP if this is intended as a fixed display, but a back-lit 11x14 on E6 film will look amazing but they will fade with prolonged illumination.

A mate of mine had a thing on his wall at home where it was a fluorescent strip in a box with a slot in the front where you loaded in a couple of dozen 35mm slides in a long strip, the tube illuminated them, it was designed as a kind of interior decor talking point. They would have it turned on when they had guests around etc etc. After not that long, a couple of years his slides, all originals, had faded noticeably. In his case they were all professionally processed Ektachromes from the early 2000s.

Stone I would commit to atleast two boxes if you ever arranged a group buy for 11x 14 velvia. I am afraid the minimum order required will be much higher than 15-20k though. Keep us posted if you do decide to look into this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Stone I would commit to atleast two boxes if you ever arranged a group buy for 11x 14 velvia. I am afraid the minimum order required will be much higher than 15-20k though. Keep us posted if you do decide to look into this. Thanks!
    Yea I agree provably closer to $100,000 or more lol

Thanks for all the answers. It sounds like mounting the original film to a light box would not be a great display idea. I will think in a different direction such as using Fujiclear or some other transparent medium with enlargements.