Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intenscreens

Intenscreens

I have used the Beattie Intenscreen on my two 4x5 cameras for years. I'm wondering who else uses these and what other options are there? They seem to work great -- especially with wide angle lenses.

Re: Intenscreens

There have been lots of options, some still made and others not. The Beattie Intenscreen and the Linhof Super Screen were both made by Fresnel Optics in Rochester, NY. The Super Screen is long discontinued, the Discontinued Boss Screen from Holland used wax to form the image, other screens had special grinding for finer grain, etc.

I had one on a Hasselblad 500 c/m. It was huge improvement over the original screen. I found it very easy to focus with.

I have one on a Rolleiflex TLR. It made a huge difference compared to the original screen.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Is the Maxwell screen the only 'bright screen' still being made? Is the screen that Steve Hoft a bright screen? - it is not clear to me by reading his website.

I have a Maxwell screen on the Master Tech. and a Beattie on the Wisner Tech. Makes a big difference when focusing in low-light situations with f/9 lenses.

Renato, how do they compare? I have both. The Maxwell is on a Toyo AX, and the Beattie is on a Rolleiflex. These are quite different, though, and so it's hard to compare. It seems a little easier to focus with the Maxwell, but the difference doesn't seem that great. I agree with you about low light situations!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Peter - The Maxwell is a little brighter in my opinion but much more expensive. When I purchase the Maxwell screen, the Beattie was no longer available for large format.

Hows the Steve Hopf screens compared to Maxwell? I have the stock Ebony screen on mine and was wondering if the Maxwell will be that much better in return for his high price.

Isn't Steve Hopf's screens standard ground glass? A Maxwell (and Beattie) screen is different, as they include a built in Fresnel. As a result, they can use less diffusion, which makes them brighter, and not have as noticeable of a hot spot.

I ordered a screen from Steve Hopf a few days ago; it is a standard ground glass like Peter says. I had wanted a Maxwell for an Ebony 5x7 but Bill told me that the Ebony camera backs would need to be modified for his screens; I didn't want the modification and kept the original screen.