Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Option for Beseler 8x10 enlarger?

Option for Beseler 8x10 enlarger?

I am looking to set up 8x10 enlarger and I know Beseler 45 enlarger with 8x10 conversion kit is my choice. Have two qustions, 1, where to buy 8x10 conversion kit? 2, Is Beseler 45MXT Enlarger or Beseler 45V-XL Enlarger the right choice for this setup?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Option for Beseler 8x10 enlarger?

Beseler discontinued their conversion kit some time ago but they may still occasionally appear on ebay. Someone was making and selling a conversion kit Beseler on ebay but I believe they also discontinued it. As far as I know it worked on the MXT and probably on the 45V-XL as well - I can't see why not. As far as which model would be the best I would think the 45V-XL because it allows for a greater height than the MXT.

Thomas

I've read for sale listings (EBay?) of Beseler enlargers with the 8x10 conversion that indicated that the Beseler chassis had been reinforced to hold the additional weight of the conversion.

Alan Ross designed the 8x10 conversion setup for the Beseler 45MXT; not sure if there are others that might fit or for what enlargers. Generally, an Aristo 12x12 light unit is used with the power supply removed to reduce weight. In this configuration I don't believe there is any need to reinforce the 45MXT chassis. But, don't take my word as the final say...YMMV. I believe someone on these boards had one for sale not too long ago; or, it might have been on APUG. Search through the classifieds on both sites.

Good luck!

Maybe you have already the Beseler but for versatility I suggest you an 8x10 enlarger, Durst 184 (one just pop up in the Classified in NY area) or a DeVere.
    Keep your Beseler for smaller format but go for a solid chassis for the 8x10. You will be able to put what you want on the 8x10 chassis and also on the lens board.
    With the Beseler you will have a lot of limitations at all levels.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

thanks all, unfortunately I have no room for Durst 184. So Beseler is my choice.

It's fairly easy to convert a Beseler 4X5 M Series enlarger to 8X10 with some spacer blocks and a plywood 8X10 box (actually 12X12) extension. Now you could use a lightweight LED head and an ANR glass negative carrier.

Kevin Kolosky

Isn't a height issue a lens issue? Meaning one is limited in what length lenses one can use?

I converted an M Series Beseler to 8X10 with spacer blocks and a 12X12 Aristo head on a plywood adapter box. I removed the negative stage and the upper bellows, bringing the lower bellows up to attach beneath the adapter box. With a 250mm lens, I had plenty of bellows for prints from 1:1 to 20X24 on the base board (extended by 4")

Lascassas, TN

NEAL,

Will you post some photos of your conversion?

Thanks
    Bill Kumpf