Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Again about bags for LF

Re: Again about bags for LF

I respect Lowepro, i already have some bags from them for my digital gear, and for my MF film gear i have from another brand a big hard case one, but for one LF body and few accessories with it i may go with a non hard case smaller one but enough room, and i agree that i should focus for 4x5 only as i don't know when i can get 8x10 and maybe i will never get it, later if i can afford 8x10 then i can afford a bag for it too.

Thanks for all recommendations or suggestions there, i will think about it and i appreciate it from you all.

Good strategy: 4x5 before 8x10.

However a major point to consider is that being able to "afford"to buy an 8x10 camera is relatively easy. It is a one time expense that can be saved up for. The real affordability issue is being able tobuy rgw film use it with. The film alone is four times more costly than 4x5. The analogy might be moving from a small little family car to a large SUV. Even if you get a significant deal on the S?UV, the fuel cost will kill you.

I like both 8x`0 photography and SUVs. I have one but not the other, and have not bought 5x10 film for several years.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

F64 BPX backpack. $209 @ B&H. The only backpack I've seen, except for the PhotoBackpacker, that can handle a 4x5 outfit like mine, (Crown Graphic, 3 lenses and a bunch of other stuff) as well as an 8x10 kit. Plus, you get 2 really cool side pockets that are sized for 5 or 6 4x5 film holders. I see Clyde Butcher and others in their videos using the F64 pack, and it definitely works for me.
    Jerry Parker

Quote Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
    F64 BPX backpack. $209 @ B&H. The only backpack I've seen, except for the PhotoBackpacker, that can handle a 4x5 outfit like mine, (Crown Graphic, 3 lenses and a bunch of other stuff) as well as an 8x10 kit. Plus, you get 2 really cool side pockets that are sized for 5 or 6 4x5 film holders. I see Clyde Butcher and others in their videos using the F64 pack, and it definitely works for me.
    I meant to say one of the few backpacks that can comfortably handle both sizes.
    Jerry Parker

A somewhat related question, if I may. When I went to 5x7 from 4x5, I quickly realized I could no longer store film holders in my cargo pants pockets. Can anyone recommend a bag that can hold a decent amount of 5x7 film holders, *without* the camera inside? I'm looking for a shoulder bag, most likely. Just something to let me carry the camera on the tripod, the darkcloth over my shoulder and a bag full of film holders.

Andrej Gregov

I've just moved up to 8x10 and have started researching pack options. I already own the Photobackpacker P2. It is a good pack, comfortable. Really glad Bruce made them. I even customized another pack with a custom backer board and cases. In the end, I think a bag/pack with standard velcro type dividers that you can reconfigure to your camera system is the way to go. If you change your equipment, you want your bag to reform around it. With Photobackpacker, you have to buy new cases--kind of a drag, especially given Bruce has shut down production.

In terms of weight, the best options I've seen in my research is the FirstLight pack line. The 40L should fit most field/folder 8x10s.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/firstlight-40l

I weighed my P2 (with it's camera and lens cases empty) and it was around 6lbs--about the same as the FirstLight. I have seen several of the F-Stop bags up close. And they are quite well built and designed. But (personally) I'm not a fan of the "opening-in-the-back" of the pack to get to your gear. I like having full access to all my equipment in one big open compartment, similar to the P2 and F64. Also notable, the F-Stops are very expensive after you configure the pack with your ICU selections (over $500 for a pack for 8x10). FirstLight is owned by ThinkTank and has similar quality in workmanship.

Here's an extensive video review of the Firstlight pack FYI. Note, I haven't purchased this yet but it's top of my list--just sharing given the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVcAmIs6pAs

I roll around in town and take mostly portraits, so the Pelican 1650 case with wheels and a nice pull handle fits my needs.

Deardorff 8x10 kit in a Pelican 1650 with Pick n Pluck Foam.

• Deardorff 8x10 "hidden under the camera is the 4x loupe and flash sync cords".
    • KODAK COMMERCIAL EKTAR LENS 14" mounted on 6x6 wood lens board.
    • Rodenstock Apo Sironar-N 240mm MC" mounted on 6x6 wood lens board.
    • 4 8x10 film holders " = 8 frames"
    • 2 Shutter release cables.
    • 1 metal 6x6 lens board.
    • 1 Large tripod plate.