Thread: El Capitan/Epson 3880 Problem

El Capitan/Epson 3880 Problem

I got a new Imac which is running El Capitan 10.11.1 to replace my fairly ancient one using OS 10.8. When I try to print to my 3880, connected with a USB cable, I get a communication error notice. I have installed a new print driver, restarted the computer and printer, and did lots of googling, muttering, and head scratching. Nothing has worked. Help please!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Re: El Capitan/Epson 3880 Problem

I recently went through the same thing. I had to do an uninstall of the old software and a clean install of the current driver followed by a restart and a complete reset of the print settings in System Preferences. Re-add the printer. Then it worked for me.

Same thing happened to me, albeit with a different printer (R2880); the new OS was also causing problems with the laser printer, Time Machine and a few other applications.
    I did a clean install of everything, and while I was doing that, I decided to go back to using Mountain Lion (10.8.5) since that always seemed like the most trouble-free OS.
    There are several ways you can install older OSs on your new computer, should you decide to go that route. Everything is online.
    I haven't heard too many good things yet about El Capitan.

Thanks Tim and Ari. I will do a clean install and hopefully that will solve my problem. So far everything else is working just fine, actually more than fine—much faster, with a much nicer monitor than before.

Richard Wasserman

It worked! Thanks guys!!!

Richard Wasserman

That was fast, Richard. I'm glad it worked.

Thanks for this info. I have a nice iMac (about 4 years old or so) but have left myself with Snow Leopard since I use a few scanners (Epson 4990 and Nikon 4000/9000) with Vuescan and an Epson 3880 printer. All work great and....if it ain't broke....you know? I did just updated my son's MacBook Pro 2010 to El Capitan last night. He reports its running great. It has a FireWire connection so I'll test all the above first before upgrading my iMac but it's good the hear the above was successful for at least the 3880.

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Thanks for this info. I have a nice iMac (about 4 years old or so) but have left myself with Snow Leopard since I use a few scanners (Epson 4990 and Nikon 4000/9000) with Vuescan and an Epson 3880 printer. All work great and....if it ain't broke....you know? I did just updated my son's MacBook Pro 2010 to El Capitan last night. He reports its running great. It has a FireWire connection so I'll test all the above first before upgrading my iMac but it's good the hear the above was successful for at least the 3880.
    I am extremely pleased with the new Imac. It has an SSD and I maxed out the RAM, and it's amazingly faster than my old one. Plus the 5K monitor is a bit of a revelation to me.

Richard Wasserman