Thread: On-Line Machine Shop

On-Line Machine Shop

Throwing this in the DIY section even though I'm looking for someone to do this for me.

I have a Majestic model 1600 geared head. I'd like a larger plate than the one that is on the head. Given that the platform is a rectangle with 4 holes and a machined slot, it seems (to me) that this would be easy to machine from aluminium flat stock. Before I spend time creating a drawing in order to get a quote, has anyone used any of the on-line machine shops?

For reference, I can pick up a used head on the bay with a 6x7 platform for $75+shipping.

BTW, anyone have any specs on this head? Just curious about the ratings.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by rbultman; 17-Jan-2016 at 07:36. Reason: Spelling
    My flickr stream

loujon

Re: On-Line Machine Shop

Have you seen this? The web site for Bencher Inc the manufacturers of the Majestic tripods & heads now & use to be manufactured by the Model Builder Co.

The specs on geared head and accessories are posted here. http://www.bencher.com/majestic/frames/frameset.html

I can do it for you. Looks relatively straight forward. Email me a pic or two and specs if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Have you seen this? The web site for Bencher Inc the manufacturers of the Majestic tripods & heads now & use to be manufactured by the Model Builder Co.

The specs on geared head and accessories are posted here. http://www.bencher.com/majestic/frames/frameset.html
    Thanks for the link. I didn't know that they sell the platforms separately. I've inquired about getting one.
    My flickr stream

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I can do it for you. Looks relatively straight forward. Email me a pic or two and specs if interested.
    Thanks for the offer Vinny. I'm going to try to source it from Bencher, the people that now sell Majestic. If they don't have one that fits my head, I'll contact you.

Regards,
    Rob
    My flickr stream

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post

I need to correct myself. The Majestic original manufacturer was by 'Modern' Builder Co. Not 'Model' Builder Co.

Glad to hook you up with the Bencher link. All my Majestic gear heads have the larger 6x7 platform w/ sliding 1/4' attachment screw which moves most of the length in 7" direction allowing you to counter balance larger cameras on platform. I would not want any smaller head platform for 8x10 up.

I have used emachineshop.com and it was suitable only when I ordered many copies. Set-up is the major expense. For example making one part was $110, and making a dozen was only $225, total. I sold the remainder to cover the first.

I was about to do the same for a simple, round aluminum lens board, then contacted http://www.glennview.com/ and got a prompt commitment for a reasonable price. Glenn knows hardware very well and I know he will correct me if I give incorrect dimensions.