Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying Arca Swiss model?

Help identifying Arca Swiss model?

So I bought an Arca Swiss 4x5 this morning on an impulse, and I'm having trouble identifying the model. I do know that it's either an A series with axis tilts, B series with base tilts, or C series with both axis/base tilts. Looking at the photos I really can't tell which it is, on one hand I would think either the upper or lower set of knurled knobs on the front and rear standard are for the axis tilts, and on the other hand I'd think the two black levers on the bottom of the standards are for base tilts. In my mind it looks like a C series. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other as far as using it, but I'm curious about what model it is and whether someone can identify it for me from these photos? Thanks in advance for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	145123

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	145122

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	145121

Re: Help identifying Arca Swiss model?

I have the newer F-line, so some familiarity with Arca. I would say you definitely have axis tilts -- two control knobs one for rise, one for tilt on the standard. I can't really tell from the photos if you have them on the base.

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    I have the newer F-line, so some familiarity with Arca. I would say you definitely have axis tilts -- two control knobs one for rise, one for tilt on the standard. I can't really tell from the photos if you have them on the base.
    Thanks, yeah the photos aren't the greatest and I won't have better ones until I actually have the camera. Of course when I get it I'll know if it has base tilts. I imagine those black locking levers may be for swing.

I also have an F-line and have never touched an older version but I think your thoughts identifying it as a "C" are right on. The levers look too far away from the rail to lock the extension. They seem to be consistent with the oblong knob used to lock the base tilt on the F-line. Enjoy it!
    jeff

I think yours is a c.

I have the B and it only has the 1 knob halfway up the standard for rise fall.

I'm on the hunt for the arca 4x5 reflex which will slide onto the back of the rail as the rear standard and provide a focal plane shutter. Really cool.

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    So I bought an Arca Swiss 4x5 this morning on an impulse, and I'm having trouble identifying the model. I do know that it's either an A series with axis tilts, B series with base tilts, or C series with both axis/base tilts. Looking at the photos I really can't tell which it is, on one hand I would think either the upper or lower set of knurled knobs on the front and rear standard are for the axis tilts, and on the other hand I'd think the two black levers on the bottom of the standards are for base tilts. In my mind it looks like a C series. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other as far as using it, but I'm curious about what model it is and whether someone can identify it for me from these photos? Thanks in advance for any help.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	145123

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	145122

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	145121
    I am pretty sure it is a C or Bi body. They were made through 1984.
    It uses 171 boards but the flat type are the correct ones for precise geometry in using the movements. The F-line from 1984 to 2004 used 171 boards as well, but the correct ones were 13mm recessed as standard.
    The bellows, however use a completely different frame system, so don't give them up as they are no longer available. If the bellows gets damaged, you can have a new bellows made to your frames.
    You can use the current rails and connecting bracket systems, though not interchangeably with the older low profile rails.
    Be very careful with the function carriers as the one thing that is fragile, after all these years, is the polycarb rail guides that ride on the rails inside the function carriers.
    The get brittle and can crack. Basically no replacements available.
    If you email me I can send you a packet on using an Arca-Swiss that may be useful.
    Be well,
    Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Looks like Base Tilts, so a C model.

I have a full arca reflex 4x5 setup that I recently restored. It's a cool system, I will post about it sometime soon. Here's some pics:

http://edsawyer.com/lens/arca_reflex/

-Ed

I too would vote for it being...

An ARCA-SWISS Model 'C' Camera (Axis + Base Tilts).

Hi Ed,

I just saw your post on the arca. beautiful camera.

I just received a system similar but with the medium format reflex.

I'd love to hit you up on where you had it restored?

I'm having the shutter looked at on mine and am thinking of hunting for a 4x5.

It seems like the ideal system. My medium format gives 1/1000 of sec which is killer for the old big barrel lenses.

Everyone recommends the sinars. But with a sinar shutter but 60th is a big limitation with wide open vintage lenses.

How do you like it? Has it replaced another system? I'm trying to do a sanity check as I feel this combo is the dream combo and there is next to no information in them.

I'd love to hear our thoughts.

One other thing I wanted to mention about this camera is that it came with an Ilex Acuter 215mm F=6.3 lens in a Copal #1 shutter. There is an adapter board on the camera which allows it to use Linhof Technika boards. I'm going to get a Copal #0 board so I can also use my Fujinon-W 135mm F=5.6 lens on the Arca Swiss. Is there any disadvantage to using the Linhof adapter? Or should I seek out correct Arca Swiss boards? I'm not sure who made the board but it says Arca Swiss in the top right corner, I can't imagine they made an adapter themselves to use competitors lens boards. So maybe it was done by a previous owner?