Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

I'm wondering if high end photography and that which actually takes a lot of effort/thought (i.e. LF ) - can be anything other than a hobby for anyone not already shooting 'week in week out' as their job?

by that I mean, a new photographer without any existing clients or sales, being able to make a living from shooting landscapes/travel etc
    I already have a successful current career, not in Photography, but if I were ever to change to try something else full time it would have to be something special (plus I have kids and a mortgage that need feeding)

are there markets out there for photographers who dont want to shoot weddings or products anymore?

I know certain photography employment has vanished (news being one) but I've heard some ad agencies wanting their stuff shifted back onto film rather than shot digitally - but that's for medium format most likely (and probably just hipsters in the ad agency trying to be retro)

just curious

edit: I should clarify; I use the word 'pro' to mean someone who has the majority of their income generated from their photography - not someone who has sold a couple of stock photos in the last 5 years.

Re: Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

I guess there are niches that one can fall into...after all, some folks make money selling iPhone photos. I know a couple of local landscape photographers who do quite well; I'm not one of 'em! I guess I'll repeat what my mentor told me 30+ years ago: "To tell a photographer that they could earn a living selling personal work would be just cruel." There are exceptions, though. My advice would be to keep your day job, keep working at photography, and, maybe, some day the balance will shift and you'll be on your way.

Good luck!

Half my income comes from B&W landscape photography-the rest from commercial work. BUT I've been at this a long and am well established-for a loooong time started in 78. The question is can someone new do this?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

most of pro's I know who make a living at it derive most of their income from showing others how to make photographs ie workshops.

One question I have; In the history of photography, has there ever been a new photographer who could make a living off of just landscape photography?

I do not think so.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    One question I have; In the history of photography, has there ever been a new photographer who could make a living off of just landscape photography?

I do not think so.
    Excellent point. It takes decades.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ansel Adams. It took him about six years, and his wife had income from the Yosemite store.

Ed Burtynsky comes to mind as a example of someone making his sole income from his landscape work.

I knew a gentleman who raised his family by shooting food products. Food photography is sort of like landscape photography, only you can fit it on a table and lunch comes with the job
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

...then again, there is black mail!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White