Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your ULF camera

Re: Show off your ULF camera

Really nice, Jim. Well done!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Barry, thank you.

Jim, that's a beauty! Love it. I am getting the itch to build another camera and may be starting one in 5x7 or 8x20 format.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Jim, that's a beauty! Love it. I am getting the itch to build another camera and may be starting one in 5x7 or 8x20 format.

Pali
    8x20 is a wonderful format. I have all of my cameras built. 8x10, 11x14, 14x17 and 8x20. I use the 8x10 and 8x20 the most then the 14x17. Something about the presence of a 14x17 image. It is a bear to use but when I get it right it is magic. Still, I love the panoramic format.

Recently I've built a stand for my 50x50cm ULF-Camera so now I can show off that big thing!

I think the camera was built around the 1900's, has an adjustable back for a little horizontal and vertical tilt and a bellows extension of 1.8m.

If anybody has a reference to be a bit more excact with the age of the camera I'd be very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Robert, the rear struts and hinges are from Chamonix camera ..........
    Does this mean that Chamonix will provide standard parts to people who ask nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatcornholio View Post
    Recently I've built a stand for my 50x50cm ULF-Camera so now I can show off that big thing!

I think the camera was built around the 1900's, has an adjustable back for a little horizontal and vertical tilt and a bellows extension of 1.8m.

If anybody has a reference to be a bit more excact with the age of the camera I'd be very happy!
    I would have called this a 40x50cm camera as the back/ground glass has to work for both vertical/horizontal glass placed in a holder that takes both orientations.

Do you have plate holders - this would give a better idea of date? But you can't be far off with 1900!

Steven, I'm not sure about that. Hass, the owner of Chamonix and Hugo are personal friends of mine. Hass has one of my 8x20 carbon prints that is in his office I think. I will say that the hinges were the big thing for me. I like the way they wrap around the rear extension arms and hard to make on my own. You can ask Hugo privately about parts but I'm thinking it is just for friends.

Yes, I realised the personal connection and Chamonix have always been the "good guys", but supplying metals parts might be considered as counter commercial sense!

But the people who are brave and organised enough to attempt own fabrication are hardly the typical Chamonix customer!

Even as late as 1924, it was still possible to purchase brass fitments for DIY cameras.
    These were mostly for tailboard cameras and for sizes up to 24x30cm. This is from a catalogue that also included top-end photographic equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I would have called this a 40x50cm camera as the back/ground glass has to work for both vertical/horizontal glass placed in a holder that takes both orientations.

Do you have plate holders - this would give a better idea of date? But you can't be far off with 1900!
    Yes it is a 40x50cm camera, you are right. The holder is not original but newer, I had to modify the fillet where the glass plate is positioned due there was a delta of about 3-4mm regarding the ground glass.