Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coating issue on rear cell?

Coating issue on rear cell?

Hi!
    I'm thinking of buying a lens that has something going on but I don't know exactly what it could be. It looks like coating but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12509721_10208266150436098_1105766439008249857_n.jpg  

Re: Coating issue on rear cell?

It looks more like cement/air separation between lens elements that are supposed to be cemented together.

Thanks! That would be a problem only under certain shooting situations, right?

A problem only when you are shooting film and want a good quality image. It isn't confined to an edge, it is in the middle too.

I was tempted to say pass on that one, but it depends what the lens is and how hard it would be to reglue. If the problem is not obviously right on the surface of the outermost glass of the rear element, it is likely separation which is an expensive problem to fix.

It's a 24cm Heliar. It's obvious if you look at it under the right angle/light. Pass?

If you want a huge, sharp, silver-based conventional negative, I'd pass on that. Might work great for other processes if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you want a huge, sharp, silver-based conventional negative, I'd pass on that. Might work great for other processes if the price is right.
    Yeah, that's what I want right now. Thank you for the input, I'll pass then.

Some people have suggested that separation can be cured by letting oil wick into the gap. Not a good solution. But this one kind of looks like I'd think that would look.

There are lots of great sharp lenses available in the 240 focal length. 240 G Claron for one.

There is no makeshift solution for this separation as the patches wil remain opaque. My guess this Is a post ww2 product with synthetic glue.

It can be fixed through hobby work! And you can use UV bonding synthetic glue or the original Voigtlander solution of Canada balsam. Neither is difficult. But the purchasing cost should be reduced.

Heliars are worth the effort!

It looks like coating, not separation to me. that would not affect images much. Is there any rainbowing ? that would indicate separation.