Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graflok Back Lock Standard - Does it exist?

Graflok Back Lock Standard - Does it exist?

I am not talking about the standard for DDS film holder, i.e. ANSI-IT3.108.

I wondering about the dimensions relating to the slides that allow one to attach a roll film holder, or example, to a Graflok back, thickness of the flange that is engaged by the locks, etc. Is this a standard?

Thanks,
    Rob
    My flickr stream

Re: Graflok Back Lock Standard - Does it exist?

Calumet roll film holders fit graflok backs. As well as others.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Calumet roll film holders fit graflok backs. As well as others.
    Yes, but I'm wondering of the interface dimensions were every standardized through ANSI or some other standards body.
    My flickr stream

I think the Graflok came out after the ANSI/BS standards for sheet and plate holders.

No there's no standard for the Graflok but the way the sliders work allows them to be flexible and there's no standard for the thickness of DDS either. In fact the Graflok gg frame from a a Pacemaker Graphic won't fit a Super Graphic, there's two differing Cambo style Grafloks as well, those are the ones I have experience with.

Ian

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That surprises me a bit that there was no standard, but nothing is too surprising anymore. I would think that the data that might be associated with a standard could be collected easily by measuring a couple of samples.

Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    I am not talking about the standard for DDS film holder, i.e. ANSI-IT3.108.

I wondering about the dimensions relating to the slides that allow one to attach a roll film holder, or example, to a Graflok back, thickness of the flange that is engaged by the locks, etc. Is this a standard?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Slides? What slides?

Cambo offered a couple of "International" backs without Graflok sliders for the 2x3 SC-1 that accept 2x3 roll holders that attach to Graflok backs. The backs have a rectangular gate, as you'd expect, with edges that slide into the roll holder's grooves. Regular normal 2x3 Graflok backs' sliders engage those grooves.

Cambo's little 2x3 International backs can't hold sheet film holders in place. Cambo offered a 2x3 bail back for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That surprises me a bit that there was no standard, but nothing is too surprising anymore. I would think that the data that might be associated with a standard could be collected easily by measuring a couple of samples.
    Some of the items used with a Graflok back existed before Graflex introduced the Graflok system, their film packs holders for instance, and roll film holders for spring backs as well.

The term International back was used in the UK to indicate a Large format back that accepted modern ANSI/BS plate and film holders, it shouldn't be confused with the Graflok and similar removable GG screen frame and the sliders used to hod accessory backs in place.

Ian

Ian, my Cambo accessories list calls backs that accept Graflok accessories International backs. Language isn't standardized either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Ian, my Cambo accessories list calls backs that accept Graflok accessories International backs. Language isn't standardized either.
    I agree, in the UK book form plate holders were the norm before WWII although a few cameras used modern style plate/film holders which were almost standard in the US. So in our market the adaption of the new ANSI/BS/DIN standard for film & plate holder was the first International standard that allowed modern DDS to be used in almost all new LF cameras of the same format and allowed inter changeability between US/UK inch sizes and their equivalent European metric sizes and also the UK half plate with the US 7x5 DDS.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Slides? What slides?

Cambo offered a couple of "International" backs without Graflok sliders for the 2x3 SC-1 that accept 2x3 roll holders that attach to Graflok backs. The backs have a rectangular gate, as you'd expect, with edges that slide into the roll holder's grooves. Regular normal 2x3 Graflok backs' sliders engage those grooves.

Cambo's little 2x3 International backs can't hold sheet film holders in place. Cambo offered a 2x3 bail back for them.
    I obtained the attached picture from this site: http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/Grafle...ers/index.html

No idea if this is acceptable or not. Mods, please delete this post if it violates any policy or copyright.

The slides I am referring to are the ones used to remove the ground glass panel and attach roll film holders onto the back of the 4x5 camera. As others have stated, many cameras use this mechanism to allow attachments from other manufacturers to be attached to their cameras. I call them slides -- perhaps they have other names.

I suppose that it is not the actual slides themselves that are important as there exist both slide designs and rotating "D-wheels" designs for securing backs. What is important would be the dimensions of the flanges and other features that mate to the slides relative to the back. It would seem to be an extension of the DDS standard as both use the same features on the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060274_800.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	144859
    My flickr stream