Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5x7 Madness: is it safe to use 1920's holders for critical work?

Re: 5x7 Madness: is it safe to use 1920's holders for critical work?

My solution to this question was to buy up as many cheap holders as I could off the Bay. I tested for light leaks eliminating some and then loaded and used each holder a couple of times. The ones I don't like are in a pile awaiting their return to ebay, the rest are loaded and being used. The point being that the ones I like to use are not necessarily the ones you or someone else might have chosen. If you get wooden holders to use with the Korona it won't really matter if they are the correct vintage. If you are getting them to make the set (like my Rochester holders) you may find that you will want to get some good users as well. The important points are light leaks and film plane registration followed by tightness of the darkslides and condition of the felts in the light traps. Fortunately you will not need an entire extra back to be able to use the modern style holders.

ps: I found it a pita to use film sheaths with the plate holders and use film holders for film. So two sets of holders; 1. the original kit and 2. modern holders for use
    I also needed another back because the Rochester back is "special".
    Last edited by winterclock; 19-Jan-2016 at 20:09. Reason: ps
    James

Foamer

I got the sheaths last Friday, and the Korona wooden holders came today. The sheaths are slightly too big for the holders, and even if they weren't the interior sides of the holders are sheer (no overlap to hold the film in.) Oops. A swing and a miss, will have to turn around and resell them. SO, looks like I'll simply buy some older vintage but more standard 5x7 holders. I was disappointed with the cheap construction of the Korona holders anyway. Back to the drawing board.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The sheath holds the film then tucks into the slot and spring clip in the ends of the holder. A lot of fiddling to get the sheath in and out. The sheath should seem too long, but be the correct width.
    James

Foamer

Sheath is about a MM too wide, and there are no recesses along the side for it. Just my luck. I have some older Fidelity cut film holders coming. Those should work. Hope I don't end up like Goldilocks here--"this one is too wide, that one is too long, the fifth one is just right." I do expect some bumps in the road when dealing with stuff that's about 100 years old. Part of the fun (har har.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!