Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie in New Jersey

Re: Newbie in New Jersey

Greetings and welcome from Bergen County, although I work just a few minutes from Peter. Local shops? Are there any left around Princeton? The only one in my area seems to be Unique in Fairfield, and I don't think I've seen 5x7 film there. As was suggested, see if you can find/build a 4x5 back and go that route.

Dan

Le Camera still seems to be in Princeton, at any rate their site http://www.lecameraonline.com/ is still up. They closed their Cherry Hill store some time ago.

Le sometimes has LF gear, especially lenses.

Welcome to the forum, TC!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Welcome from about one hour north in Florham Park, near Morristown. While I'm not familiar with "historical" cameras, I've been in love with large format for over 30 years, so consider me an "in-state resource." As for the X-Ray film suggestion, my own instinct says to stick with regular film, so that your learning experience is with the same type of material you will be using going forward; X-Ray film has its own set of characteristics and processing needs.

One question I would consider is whether there are any 4x5 reducing backs readily (and cheaply) available for the Ansco, since 4x5 film is both more readily available, and less expensive, than 5x7.
    Have you ever asked Gary at Florham Village Camera in Florham PARK?

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Greetings and welcome from Bergen County, although I work just a few minutes from Peter. Local shops? Are there any left around Princeton? The only one in my area seems to be Unique in Fairfield, and I don't think I've seen 5x7 film there. As was suggested, see if you can find/build a 4x5 back and go that route.

Dan
    Have you checked with Tom in Westwood? He frequently has in store picture galleries featuring local talent like George Tice.

Greetings all, much thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate the advice and commentary. From what I've been able to find online the Anasco Agfa field cameras were made between 1925 to 1939, with the later models being the grey with plastic knobs.

I appreciate the heads up on X-ray film, but will stick with the devil I know for now and run some Ilford NP5 through it. I'll certainly be sure to post the results when I do.

Good to know there are others in Jersey to commiserate with. I haven't looked, but is there a meet up group or anything like that?

As for shops near me, there is both Allen's and New York Camera & Video in Bucks County, PA. Both about a 20-30 minute drive. Le Camera is much closer, but I'm not a fan of their store or the salesmen I've encountered there so I'll drive up to Unique to buy a roll of film before I'd darken the doorstep of Le Camera. Of course B&H and Adorama can deliver to me next day is need be, but I like to support the local guys when I can. I shoot a lot in Philly and really miss Calumet. There are a few lens rental places in Philly, but as far as I know no legit camera stores.... Hmmm, that may be a business opportunity!

Thanks again to all of you!

P.S. Here are a few images of the camera and lens

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Dec 25, 3 16 04 PM.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	144186

Name:	Photo Dec 25, 3 15 28 PM.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	144187

Name:	Photo Dec 25, 3 16 33 PM.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	144188

Quote Originally Posted by TRCPhoto View Post
    Greetings all, much thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate the advice and commentary. From what I've been able to find online the Anasco Agfa field cameras were made between 1925 to 1939, with the later models being the grey with plastic knobs.

I appreciate the heads up on X-ray film, but will stick with the devil I know for now and run some Ilford NP5 through it. I'll certainly be sure to post the results when I do.

Good to know there are others in Jersey to commiserate with. I haven't looked, but is there a meet up group or anything like that?

As for shops near me, there is both Allen's and New York Camera & Video in Bucks County, PA. Both about a 20-30 minute drive. Le Camera is much closer, but I'm not a fan of their store or the salesmen I've encountered there so I'll drive up to Unique to buy a roll of film before I'd darken the doorstep of Le Camera. Of course B&H and Adorama can deliver to me next day is need be, but I like to support the local guys when I can. I shoot a lot in Philly and really miss Calumet. There are a few lens rental places in Philly, but as far as I know no legit camera stores.... Hmmm, that may be a business opportunity!

Thanks again to all of you!
    Back in the 70s there were three really good stores near you, two in Princeton and one just outside. One was the Princeton University Bookstore, one was in the shopping center on 206 and the third was nearby, Ira's Tire and Camera Store. But those were in the good old days!

Ira's Tire and Camera?!!? That's an amazingly random combo, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRCPhoto View Post
    Ira's Tire and Camera?!!? That's an amazingly random combo, I love it.
    All of those stores, plus the ones still around, were my customers. When Ira first put in cameras there were two very strong dealers near him. One was the book store and the other was 47th Street Photo in NYC, remember this was 1980. One day I asked Ira why he decided to put in photo equipment and his answer was that "the tire industry was too competitive and he thought that he could be more profitable with photo equipment".
    Unfortunately, within two years he had closed and a year or two later the book store closed the camera department.