Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem w/47mm Super Angulon XL

Problem w/47mm Super Angulon XL

I recently upgraded my 47mm S.A. to the XL version and am having a bit of a problem.

The lens came in its original box with an attachment or (flange?) that's supposed to fit over the rear of the lens. The rear lens cap fits onto this attachment.

The problem is that it's awkward and requires quite a bit of pressure to fasten this attachment to the rear of the lens, and even then, it doesn't want to stay attached. It's a little scary trying to fasten this attachment, because with the pressure required, it can slip. I sure don't want to scratch the surface of the rear element; yet, without this attachment, there's no way to cover the rear with the lens cap.

There's an "O"-Ring on this attachment that slips over the rear of the lens through three grooves. Perhaps I need to lubricate this ring? But, I wouldn't know what to use.

Any suggestions on dealing with fastening this rear attachment to the lens? Is there a cap available that can protect the rear of the lens without using this attachment?

Re: Problem w/47mm Super Angulon XL

how about some pictures? my 47xl doesn't have any of that stuff, it sounds like. (I use it on a cambo wide so no real need for a rear lens cap in my case.

See if these guys can make a lenscap that fits over the rear element without the extra flange.
    http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-caps

I think you got a packing mistake. The rear cap should be a simple slip-on.

The only SAXL I'm aware of that has a removable rear ring is the 90mm. I know it seems incredulous that something like this could happen but perhaps the seller accidentally swapped his 47mm and 90mm rear cells and sold you a mixed-up lens.

What's the diameter of the rear cell? Can you post a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    The only SAXL I'm aware of that has a removable rear ring is the 90mm. I know it seems incredulous that something like this could happen but perhaps the seller accidentally swapped his 47mm and 90mm rear cells and sold you a mixed-up lens.

What's the diameter of the rear cell? Can you post a pic?
    This may be the same for the 75mm XL. The dimensions are correct. There are no threads on the rear of this lens, so this device snaps on. It has threads, so I suspect it's meant to hold a behind the lens filter. Also, there are six, not just three grooves, meaning that the "O" ring is intended to grip in six locations.

I'll play with it a bit. Maybe if I stretch the "O" ring, it will be easier to attach. In the meantime, I'll find or order a proper lens cap and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I think you got a packing mistake. The rear cap should be a simple slip-on.
    I agree. I sold mine a while ago but my new 47xl had a simple push on lens cap front and back.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 28-Dec-2015 at 15:48.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    This may be the same for the 75mm XL. The dimensions are correct. There are no threads on the rear of this lens, so this device snaps on. It has threads, so I suspect it's meant to hold a behind the lens filter. Also, there are six, not just three grooves, meaning that the "O" ring is intended to grip in six locations.

I'll play with it a bit. Maybe if I stretch the "O" ring, it will be easier to attach. In the meantime, I'll find or order a proper lens cap and use that.
    Neither my 72mm XL or 47mm XL came with such a thing. I bought them used. My 90mm XL has the unscrewable rear barrel piece that OnF is talking about.

Weird.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It seems unlikely that a 47mm S-A would use a rear filter. It would be part of the optical design. I'm afraid you got a Frankenlens. Please let us how this works out - I am in the market for one, upgrading as you have.

Good luck!

Neil, was your lens originally sold by a camera manufacturer who may have modified the rear for a specific camera?