Thread: New Bellows Install

New Bellows Install

In process of installing a new bellows from Japan on my V8 Deardorff. I have tightened the screws mounting the front frame to the front standard of my Deardorff but am still seeing light between the bellows frame and standard. Should a good bellows snug right up tight and I am dealing with an inferior product?? Did not notice any sealant when I removed the original bellows from the front standard, only on the rear.

Steve

Re: New Bellows Install

Bummer, i just looked at my camera, and has a little lip into which the bellows frame should fit, maybe yours is slightly over sized and isn't seating properly? Is there a gap where the material (leather? fabric?) wraps around the frame and isn't quite flat? That might cause it to not seal completely. I am interested in the outcome of this as I am waiting on a new bellow and other parts to complete my V8. I realize that hand made parts may not fit into other hand made parts separated by decades and geography so I guess that's where diy comes in.

T

Go to the hardware store and get a roll of thin, low-density foam sealing (weatherstrip) tape... (You might see a little light through the edge, but will be OK once compressed...) Put this between the bellows & standards, and this will fill the voids...

Or make a gasket with some dark foam sheet (from the arts & crafts store)...

Steve K

Just get some 3/4 inch photographic tape and run it around the back edge of the bellows frame and camera back.
    Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Phot.../dp/B0001M6K3S