Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First LF Lens Advice

Re: First LF Lens Advice

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Why not to start with a 90mm:

a. a wide angle lens is harder to focus - the subject is smaller on the groundglass;
    b. learning to shoot LF also involves learning about the movements on the camera, and how they affect the image. Wide angle lenses need much less tilt and swing, but that's harder to figure out if your first lens is a 90.

Kumar
    b.
    Got it. Thanks you for the explanation. Makes sense.

Thanks again, guys. I think I'll go for a 135mm or 150mm to start.

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out.

Yes, Canadians say thanks a lot.

The reason a 90 is hard to use is because of light fall off as you move away from the center of the image. (also the reason people buy center filters to try to overcome this same phenomenon on the film). You can't see well into the corners. The image is dark there and focus is difficult. Especially with f6.8 and f8 versions. The f5.6 and f4.5 versions are a little easier.

Also, there are mechanical problems to overcome. The lens is only 3 1/2 inches from the ground glass, so the bellows are all bunched up and movements are difficult - mechanically. The scrunched up bellows won't let you move the lens where you want it.

Also consider the angles. With a 210, you're using a loupe to check focus in the corners and the angle from the corner that you're holding the loupe is almost the same as straight on in the center. With a 90 or 75 the angle you're holding the focus loupe is severe.

All of these things are possible to overcome, obviously, or we wouldn't have good images from very wide angle lenses. We're just answering your original post. Where to start. Start with something easy and get a foothold. The 210 is extremely forgiving. The 90 is not.

Not trying to disagree with others who seem to be discouraging use of a 90mm lens but, honestly, 90mm is not so wide that it ever caused me any problems at all. And if you like 24mm on FF DSLR and 55mm on 6x7cm then maybe you should look for someone who owns a 90mm and a 135 or 150 and longer lenses so you can see for yourself and determine if 90mm is too difficult to work with. Then, if it really is (I definitely don't think so) then may 4x5in isn't the format for you?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I think I'll go for a 135mm or 150mm to start.
    The 150mm Rodenstock apo Sironar-S will give you a field of view almost identical with a 120 Nikkor-SW or 35mm on a full frame camera but does not throw everything back like a wide angle. This was a super expensive lens new but highly acclaimed and was the first LF lens that I purchased for my first LF camera - a Toyo 45CF. Back then the camera cost $549.95 and the lens $750 or $795. The 4x5 version http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ar_S_Lens.html is no longer manufactured but they can be found used. The new digital version http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=USA&A=details is priced at almost $2400. This is a small highly compact lens that folds attached with the 45CF for a package weighing ~ 4lbs - ideal for long distance backpacking or bicycle touring - and the low weight and copal shutter allows you to use a light weight tripod. I backpack/tour with a Gitzo series 0 carbon fiber tripod which weighs ~ 2lbs with the head.

Thomas