Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First LF Lens Advice

First LF Lens Advice

I just purchased a Chamonix 045F1 (my first Large Format camera) and it's on its way. I received some great help figuring that purchase out on this board.

Now, I need a lens.

I've been told to start with a 150mm. I pretty much broke the bank with the camera and accessories, so I'd like to keep the cost under $500.

In my research it seems that the Nikkor W 150mm 5.6 may be a good choice. Suggestions?

Also, I know that Linhof and Wista boards fit on the Chamonix. What about Toyo and Nikon boards?

Thanks!

Re: First LF Lens Advice

Most any Fuji, Schneider, Rodenstock or Nikkor 150mm lens would be a good choice, and they can be had for $200 or less.

Kumar

Lachlan 717

No one can tell you what to start with without asking you something first.

Ant that this is, "do you want a wide, a standard or a long lens?"

It is no different to asking what car should I get, and someone saying a sedan. What if you want a small car? Or a big 4x4? If you get a sedan, and you want a 4x4, you could find yourself in deep sh#t, literally and metaphorically...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

For $500 you should be able to find a nice 150mm and another focal length 210mm or 90mm... maybe all three if you're frugal and patient and are willing to accept a little cosmetic imperfection.

What lens do you use the most in other formats, and what do you intend to use the camera for? A 150 good place to start but 210mm and 90mm are both relatively cheap and plentiful and might suit you purposes better if you know what you want to shoot.

Thanks for your replies.

For 35mm (digital) my most used was a 24mm tilt shift.

For medium format I would say the 55mm on my 67 if I'm talking strictly landscape, which is what I plan on using the 4x5 for.

150mm was recommended for a starter lens for learning movements and maybe easier focusing (if that makes sense?). My personal thought was to start with a 90mm, but I've never used one (on LF).

Buying a 150mm lens, "standard" for 4x5, is the quick-and-easy solution. If you don't mind putting a little more effort into the decision, you might be well-served by spending some time using a framing aid like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FramingAid1-500.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	143577

It's essentially just a piece of mat board with an opening the size of a given format. The string has knots tied at various common focal lengths, so if you hold a particular knot to your cheek, you will see through the opening in the mat board what that focal length would produce.

Walk around, composing "air photos" of various scenes, and see which focal length (knot) you tend to choose most frequently. That will tell you what focal length to select first. Note that this might be the equivalent of most-used focal lengths on other formats, or it might be different with 4x5.

Really sounds like you would want a 90mm, if you like those lenses. A good 90mm f/8 from any of the Big Four is fine. Many prefer the Nikkor, and I agree, it's my most-used lens. If you expect to be working inside a lot, consider one of the f/5.6 or f/4.5 varieties.

150mm is nice but for me it's often just too long or too short in most situations.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'd get a 90 mm & a 210 mm. Should be able to get both within your $500 budget. The brand is not that important, all will work better than you'll be able to tell. I' look for a well priced lens in a good modern shutter (read that: Copal). You can look for the less expensive Calumet lenses, they will perform well. Get one of the f6.8 lenses as they are cheaper, and for outdoor use you'll never see the difference. You'll be using the lenses at around f/16-22 and at that aperture, there won't be any noticeable difference between the brands. Once you know what you're doing you can sell them and get something else. Good luck. L

I agree with Corran and Luis. If you prefer 24mm on FF DSLR and 55mm on 6x7cm then 90mm is about the same perspective on 4x5in.