Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When photography was important

Re: When photography was important

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I was researching some Pictorialist photo art sales, and found this magazine from 1995. It doesn't feel like that long ago when film photography was so important. Take a look at the ads on the first few pages. Quality 35mm cameras, high end lenses, Medium Format Cameras, celebrities holding cameras in ads....it's all there, like we remembered. What happened? When did people stop thinking, contemplating art, going slow? I guess the answer is somewhere there in their smart phones and tablets, where everyone has their downturned heads when I go out in public. Strange. Do people even collect art photographs anymore? Or just snag a digital copy for free?

https://books.google.com/books?id=KS...page&q&f=false
    Hi Garrett

as usual from you, a typically positive thread, which I've enjoyed reading/looking at this morning

very best

andre

Re: When "The Photographer" Was Important

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Back in the days of film (which weren't that long ago).
    It still is the days of film for some of us!

Steve.

Thanks Andrew. It's always good to converse with you, Steven, and the others here. Have a happy New Year!
    Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Thanks Andrew. It's always good to converse with you, Steven, and the others here. Have a happy New Year!
    Garrett
    thanks - likewise to you too

best

andrew

Nothing to add here, but just best wishes to Garrett, Andrew and all the other actives (in both senses of the word!).

thanks Steven

similar best wishes and regards

andrew

McCoy

I think I miss the respect a photographer got back in "the good 'ol days". You were commissioned, shot the work, sold it for a profit. Now everyone thinks 'fair use' means 'I get it for free'. You have shooters that have never seen a darkroom or a roll of film. Then there is what I call the "Avon Mom", that's someone that can spend $600 on avon and resell it or purchase a digital camera and give the work away for free.
    But I guess -
    The times are a changin' - I heard Bob Dylan say.

McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I dunno folks, I have seen it come back around in the past few years.

I see more business, more respect for the craft and profession, higher day rates, even on the editorial side. Folks seem to want to see those who have refined vision and unwavering commitment be celebrated and rewarded again. Art directors are pushing back against the bean counters as they insist on developing long term working relationships with powerful artists instead of getting the monthly "I spent less of the art budget" award.

Film as a niche is also gaining traction in pop culture and in some paid work.

I think things are looking up!
    I agree. No one expects me to do anything for free or at least haven't since I started in the late 70's. My fees are up and I am far more profitable in my commercial business with digital than I was with film. The recession was brutal but I was always able to make a living. My FA print sales even went up during the recession and the commercial business is back with a vengeance. I just worked 5 months straight without a day off and still haven't caught up.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Christopher Nolan will direct WWII film Dunkirk, based on his own original screenplay.

The action adventure film, set during the legendary 1940 evacuation in France, will be led by yet-to-be-cast unknowns but Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance and Tom Hardy are currently in talks to join the ensemble.

The large scale film will be shot on a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film photography, and shooting will begin in May.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ii-film-851289

Variety put it this way:

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 21, 2017. The large-scale production will be shot on a combination of Imax 65mm and 65mm large format film for maximum image quality and high-impact immersion.