Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam floor pads for darkroom comfort

Foam floor pads for darkroom comfort

I got some cheap 1/2" thick foam floor pads at a local retailer of new junk probably for about $2-3 per 2' square. I think they are made for people who want a soft work area; such as to cover over concrete or tile temporarily.

They warm my floor up nicely. In the summer I like cool tile under my feet. This time of year, the floor pads are warm and soft. Let's just say 70f water temperature feels downright warm not cool or room temp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1209152146b.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	143311

Re: darkroom comfort

Looks pretty sweet, last Christmas I decorated my darkroom with a string of Kodak Brownie safelights and a dopey electric fireplace, the flickering red "flames" seemed to me to be about a Wratten OA equivalent ��

I wouldn't be walking barefoot on a darkroom floor, just a suggestion but your foot skin absorbs a lot and all those spilled chemicals won't do your body any good.

Best wishes.

Stone, my darkroom floor stays clean and for me, it's a clean place to be without shoes.

I did learn not to weld in sandals though; I thought as long as I wore something I'd reduce electrocution risk, but sandals don't stop burning molten metal from bouncing off my feet. I hopped around for a bit.

i have those matts in my darkroom as well as in my studio,any ware i stand for a long time.they help my feet and back from hurting so much.

I use a bunch of those in my darkroom too - I have them interlocked to cover most of the space between my wet-side bench and my enlarger bench, where I spend most of my time standing. It helps a bit; the floor underneath is thin tiles on a concrete base, which is about as hard as it gets and becomes pretty fatiguing as the hours wear on.

Re: Foam floor pads for darkroom comfort

I went with some thick foam pads 5/8" I think when I built my latest darkroom. The existing floor was hardwood and I didn't want to mess that up so I cut a heavy duty tarp to fit and put the foam tiles over that. Already saved my once with a large spill of fixer. Very comfy to stand on all day.

When I built my darkroom on a concrete basement floor, I went to Lowe’s and bought enough interlocking rubber pads similar to the OP’s to cover the entire area between the wet and dry sides over the full length of the room, about 15 ft long and 30+ inches wide. I didn’t want any edges that could trip me when moving around. The only real difference between mine and the OP’s is that mine have a grid of ¾-inch dia holes @ 1.5” on-center through to the concrete. I didn’t think about that when I bought them, but it proved to be a valuable feature when I experienced a minor spray leak in a wet side hose connection to a sink sprayer while I wasn’t in the room. I just happened to go in there shortly after the spray started and found that I’d inadvertently left a gate valve (next to the sprayer) partially open, and there was just enough pressure on the hose joint to start the leak. I saw that most of the water was trapped in those holes, so I used a wet/dry shop vac to suck up the water in the holes and then lifted the pads to mop up under them. And, yes, much comfort is experienced under foot. Temperatures year round here are such that it’s always comfortable (with shoes on).

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I use a wide thick pad on top of the carpet in my dry darkroom. There are never any chemical spills in the dry darkroom. In the wet darkroom my chemistry techniques are good enough to keep the marble floor dry.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I use a wide thick pad on top of the carpet in my dry darkroom. There are never any chemical spills in the dry darkroom. In the wet darkroom my chemistry techniques are good enough to keep the marble floor dry.
    The pads with holes in them are great too; sort of expensive for the light use my darkroom gets. I used to stand on them in a previous job where I stood on a boat deck. The comfort and traction were appreciated. We cleaned them and under them every day.