Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix dent in filter thread?

Fix dent in filter thread?

In a chain of unfortunate events my Linhof / Schneider 210mm made harsh contact with a marble floor.. Being extremely lucky in said unfortunate situation the only part of the lens that took damage was the filter thread which took all of the impact. Everything else is fine.

I bought one of those Neewer filter thread wrenches but the sheer size of the lens seems too big. And there is no real manual for it so I'm kind of hesitant to put real force on it.

With protective cover on the glass I tried to bend it back with plyers (protecting the thread as well) but the metal is so thick, I think I need quite a bit of force there as well.

Now the question, how can I fix it? If anybody has a trick up their sleeves please share.

PS: I usually always had a filter or a lens hood on my lenses to protect them, but this one is new and the lenshood in the mail. I was literally taking it out for the first time

Re: Fix dent in filter thread?

There is a thread in DIY section. Involves cutting convex/concave wood sections.

I feel for you. You must be just sick about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I feel for you. You must be just sick about it.
    Yeah, I am extremely bummed out. Especially because I usually protect my lenses and never dropped one before.

Quote Originally Posted by McGirton View Post
    Yeah, I am extremely bummed out. Especially because I usually protect my lenses and never dropped one before.
    Virtually any camera repair shop can fix it.

Apug has a number of threads on the subject.
    One thing I read that made a lot of sense to me was that pressure should be applied to the shoulder of the dent, gradually coming to the centre.
    Also creating a wooden disc of the size of the circle you need, then cut it in less than half, such that it fits in.
    The outside cut is used outside the dented ring.
    The squeeze is between the two pieces of wood, which on the inside should form to the threads.
    this way you get the precise diameter of your lens.
    Or pay a professional
    Or sell it and buy another.
    Or leave it, set it aside until your emotions settle. That's what I did with a Verito I dinged and was able to use it without feeling bad. But I don't use filters on it.
    Good Luck

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I scraped up the coating of a once expensive lens by working on the dent. Never again. Even with the right tools, which I had, will I do it again. Send it off for repair and cost is well worth it.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

It really depend on the extent of the dent : I am threading steel pipe section of a smaller diameter than the internal diameter and then, banging on that piece to straighten the thread (also have provisions to squeeze between to pieces - threaded internal - with a bolt). It is a work in progress on a 360mm Componon and it worked worked on a Conley 8x10 soft focus (was then able to disassemble the front element for cleaning) but did not work on the back element where some previous owner had made a real mess with pliers (cracks opening in the deepest part of the threads). Was still able to disassemble the back element from the internal side for cleaning but the thread on the back element is hopeless. It might have been hopeless anyway if the dent was severe enough...
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

I agree with Sirius.

I have heard that a wooden dowel and a jeweler's hammer applied carefully may help. If it is not dented enough to interfere with the image circle, then use it as is and use another method for holding your filters.

Accidents happen - don't beat yourself up about it.

Stephens reply is good.
    I dented the front ring in my Micro Nikkor 55/2.8. The concave former, a wooden dowel with a shaped end,and grooves cut with a blade to approximate the filter threading + A few taps with a LFH (Little Freakin Hammer) - success.
    The Nikkor has very thin metal in this area, so your lens should respond well.
    Pliers are the worst tool for this repair.