Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Sheet film availability and its future

Drew Wiley

Re: 4x5 Sheet film availability and its future

Jerry - yeah, I've been using the Norma quite a bit lately for several of reasons. It's been unusually cold here, and only a few hours a day are reasonably comfortable, so lugging a 4x5 is a bit smarter than an 8x10 folder w/bigger tipod for moving quickly up n' down hills without tweaking cold muscles or joints. Then I'm trending to a lot of long lens narrow perspective shots, and the long monorail concept is ideal for that; and third, I really don't want to thaw out any 8X10 color film at the moment due to its replacement expense, so am conserving that for a more appropriate time of year. But I consider the Norma to be a nearly ideal field
    camera overall.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum

I also use Hasselblads.

When I find out that a film is being discontinued to buy up what I can and stash it in the freezer. I keep the disappearing films from the hoarders. I also keep a back up supply of available films so that I can quickly get as much film as I need at the moment.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate the welcome and the comments. Good news about group buys and shipping to AUS, ill keep an eye out for that.

I've just recently bought a Linhof Master Technika, pending pickup and payment! So its exciting days ahead and look forward to the new year. Ill learn using black and white as I come to grips with learning the linhof, but am exciting by its potential! Also be keeping an eye out on the forums for tips and tricks as well.

Old School Wayne

If you're planning to learn to print in a darkroom without any digital steps Ektar and Portra 100 is about the only game in town for large format color. Direct positive printing materials (for printing directly from chromes) no longer exist except in a few geezer's freezers (like mine, where it has probably gone bad). The premier positive process, Ilfochrome (formerly Cibachrome) went belly up a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by alen View Post
    Hi

I plan on moving from digital to film photography full time. I love the detail that can be extracted from 4x5 and the quality and large size of prints. I currently shoot using Digital and Film using a Nikon D800 and Hasselblad 500c respectively. On the Hasselblad, i can readily purchase a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 - 120 film over a counter.
    However from my limited research, sheet film, particularly Fuji velvia range has been discontinued but some stock can be bought from ebay. But what then, once theyve sold out, what other sheet films are still available and which are suitable for nature and landscape photography? Apologies for the rather "fresh" questions, im still pretty new to Large format and would appreciate your honest feedback. Last thing i want to do is sell my digital gear, spend thousands on a Linhof master technika 4x5 and find out its redundant.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    If you're planning to learn to print in a darkroom without any digital steps Ektar and Portra 100 is about the only game in town for large format color. Direct positive printing materials (for printing directly from chromes) no longer exist except in a few geezer's freezers (like mine, where it has probably gone bad). The premier positive process, Ilfochrome (formerly Cibachrome) went belly up a few years ago.
    Yeah i was late to this and discovered Cobachrome/Ilfochrome earlier this year, one of the photographers i like (Christopher Burkett) has been using this process for ages and the finish looks fantastic! Too bad its discontinued. Ill end up getting high res drum scans of my direct positives and go down that path. Ive seen some impressive results and really look forward to this too. This with Fuji Flex print might be the next best thing, though its up to the eye of the beholder in the end.

With proper color separation filters you can get to full color from B/W negs and any of several contact printing processes. Gelatin, glass and silver nitrate will be around a long while, I hope.

Old School Wayne

Is anyone actually still doing fully analog tri-color though? I know people are doing it with PS and digital negatives . I've wanted to try the analog method but am way too lazy/impatient/cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    With proper color separation filters you can get to full color from B/W negs and any of several contact printing processes. Gelatin, glass and silver nitrate will be around a long while, I hope.

I play with it. More work maybe, but also more fun .
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    I play with it. More work maybe, but also more fun .
    Do you have any examples posted anywhere of fully analog tricolors?

Hi! Wayne,

Thank you for asking. I really am still just playing. I put the work down for a while to finish a book, but I'm back at it and having a ball, but not posting pics yet.
    I probably shouldn't have responded to your question in #17. My work is likely not what you have in mind, but for what it's worth, here's what I can show you (warning: nerd alert!).
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=05Sep2013
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=24Nov2013

Handmade emulsions aside, BW commercial panchromatic film will likely be around for a good long time. There are quite a few beautiful color processes from all along the timeline that can be made with separation negatives. I made the easiest -- three-color gum prints -- in school. It was fun, and not hard. Have to want to, but that's a different issue .
    Denise Ross
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to the Craft of Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Dry Plates, and Film