Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get a #00 drilled 171x171mm lens board for an old Arca Swiss 4x5?

Where to get a #00 drilled 171x171mm lens board for an old Arca Swiss 4x5?

Hi, the subject line kinda says it all I guess . I'm looking for a lens board to fit an old Arca Swiss 4x5 camera, 171x171mm, drilled with a #00 hole, and I can't currently find one. There is someone on eBay in China I think who said they do custom lens boards but has stopped answering questions from me about how to actually order one...

Can anyone please point me to somewhere I can find one or get one made? I've also put a "WTB" in the for sale forum but nobody has come forward at this point.

Thanks very much,
    Sharon

Re: Where to get a #00 drilled 171x171mm lens board for an old Arca Swiss 4x5?

If all else fails I'm sure I have seen ebay seller selling lensboard hole reducers, that kinda fill up a #0 hole to the size of a #00 hole, letting you use any old #0 board. Seems like a clever solution:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

Ooh, thanks for pointing me to that, it does look like a good potential solution !

Thanks again,
    Sharon

Arca-Swiss

S K Grimes is the best in the world at the lensboard game and other custom milling for cameras.
    Try them. Myself and many of my students have and they always make an elegant solution.
    And they are in the US!

www.skgrimes.com/

Be well,
    Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

It's better if the lensboards are bored rather than drilled. Boring is when the lensboard is chucked in a lathe and the hole is finished to size by boring the hole with a single edge toolbit. The finish is much better and the size can be made exactly what it needs to be. Drilling can only be done in the increments of the holesaw used.

Do you have equipment to cut the lens board to the proper size?
    What you want is 170mm square board. Close enough.

If you do, then the 00 hole is close enough to 1 inch that a standard,
    common hole saw is good to go.

Ignore the compulsive machinists.

There are numerous older style Arca 4x5's for sale on EBay. You might message some of these to see if one has a spare lensboard that they could sell on EBay?

SK Grimes also makes a reducer to convert your '0' hole to a '00' hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    S K Grimes is the best in the world at the lensboard game and other custom milling for cameras.
    Try them. Myself and many of my students have and they always make an elegant solution.
    And they are in the US!

www.skgrimes.com/

Be well,
    Rod

Richard Ritter.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Ooh, thanks for pointing me to that, it does look like a good potential solution !
    I think you will need a jam nut (retaining ring) for the adapter.