Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Condenser Head Advantage?

Condenser Head Advantage?

Many have argued the advantages of cold light heads over condenser heads, Ansel Adams among them.

When I updated from a D2V condenser enlarger that I had to a more recent enlarger, I kept the D2V condenser head and adapted it to my new enlarger. I did this to just have the capability available. But, it's been on a shelf ever since.

For example, I know that they're more consistent than cold light heads. But, all my enlarger heads, including the D2V, have sensors installed so that they can be used with my compensating timer.

Aside from consistency, is anyone aware of darkroom applications or types of photos where condenser heads have a distinct advantage?

Re: Condenser Head Advantage?

I'm not sure that they are more consistent (depending on what you mean by consistent). The prime attribute of a condenser head is higher contrast than with a cold light head. The extreme example of a condenser head is a point source head where the inter grain modulation is nil. The choice of head then is based on the effect you are after in the print. In simple terms the more you go toward a condenser head the more you will accentuate the contrast of the silver grains in the print. So it's a tool for contrast control.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I use a condenser head in one enlarger, a Leitz IIa for ~56x90mm. I cannot say the projected image has greater resolution, but it does have better micro-contrast, acutance for susceptible subjects. (Better than the Ilfospeed 500 in an Omega). The difference is not enough to argue about.

Many advantages to condenser heads.
    1) Less complex power supply. Usually just a power cord
    2) Less expensive when new
    3) More efficient than other incandescent systems; more bang for your buck in terms of printing speed.

This should be a very short thread....

eh, we can make it longer.

Currently my Beseler 45MCRX uses PH212 150 watt 120 vac incandescent frosted bulb with 2 standard OE double stack condensers.

I believe this is stock configuration and considered 'point source illumination' that provides tighter collimated rays than a diffusion head. Collimated from Latin and refers to light beams that are straight.

The enlarging theory I have read is that point source condenser heads make sharper prints than diffused light beams from other non condenser heads. And show more dust...perhaps related issues.

Looking at the big round PH212 bulb, it is certainly not a 'point' of light source. And it runs hot over long usage, a secondary issue.

I wonder if an equivalent power, meaning usable wattage and lumens single LED would improve condenser head performance with sharper prints, with it's far smaller diameter point source of light? All other variables being equal.

I hope the question makes sense..

Thoughts?
    Tin Can

John Olsen

I read somewhere that the sharper condenser imaging was historically due to thick emulsions on old papers. More collimated image rays from a condenser would spread less, for a sharper result. Since modern papers achieve their full density in thinner emulsion layers, I read, this advantage is largely gone. I've printed the same negative both ways, condenser and diffusion, and the difference is pretty hard to detect, and may be largely in my imagination. I find much bigger differences from one lens to another. Just print and have a good time. Nobody but a viewer with a loupe is going to care, and who cares about that kind of viewer?

Frosted bulb is not used in a point source enlarger. Usually you need the bulb with the special filament, a way to position the bulb filament to the exact location , the correct lens (frequently used at a specific aperture), and a way to control the intensity of the light, for a complete point source setup. Point source is very good for things like forensics and electron microscopy enlargements.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Many advantages to condenser heads.
    1) Less complex power supply. Usually just a power cord
    2) Less expensive when new
    3) More efficient than other incandescent systems; more bang for your buck in terms of printing speed.
    OK so we've already run out of advantages . The main advantage is that they are cheaper and less complex than difussed heads. That being said all the great printers that I've known use diffuse light sources. My 810 Durst which probably has some of the finest condensers made sits unused in favor of the De Vere and LPL Enlargers both with diffused heads.

None of us has answered OP questions.
    Tin Can