Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao 8x10 - Word to the Wise

Shen-Hao 8x10 - Word to the Wise

I finally got around to developing my first photos with my new Shen-Hao 8x10. Everything is great, except that almost every negative has a light leak.

The spring on film back is a bit loose: tight enough to keep the film holder secure, but when you remove or insert the dark slide, you can inadvertantly open the back enough to let in a little light.

Solution from Richard Ritter: whenever inserting or removing the dark slide, keep your thumb on the back, to prevent it from opening.

I would add to your comments to include re-inserting the dark slide perfectly square to prevent light from leaking past the light trap. If an edge of the dark slide leads the process, the same net effect can quickly take place.

Cheers!

When you remove or insert the dark slide, try (from a right-hander's point of view,) holding the back against the back of the camera with the forefinger and thumb of your right hand. As a user of older (ok, ancient!) cameras I just sort of got into the habit of doing that as a matter of course. Just making sure that everything stays in position as the slide is going in or coming out.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Umm... make that "the thumb and forefinger of your left hand."
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I would also recommend making or buying an exposure shroud that you put over the dark slide end. It takes plenty of time for the camera to settle down, adjustments, etc. and even with the back snug I think there is potential for light leaks.

why do you remove the dark slide?
    If you just slide it until it doesn't cover the area of the negative, you will also be spaired the possible annoing problem of dust or debree that could be released from the action of re-enserting the slide.
    How do you like your camera?
    Is it rigid?

Thanksto all -

Domenico, I will try your suggestion.

The camera is quite rigid, light enough for me to walk around with comfortably in the woods. The Shen Hao case holds only the camera, but does that very well. The rest of my gear goes over the other shoulder, in a small athletic bag I got at WalMart for less than $20. (I've learned a lot from this list).

I have to say that is requires a little adjustment to consider my 450mm Fujinon C as only a moderately long "portrait" lens. My arms aren't long enough to easily reach the lens and view the GG at the same time. On the other hand, I no longer need reading glasses under the darkcloth: to see the 8x10 image, one needs to stand back.

Domenico,

Don't you still need to remove the slide to flip it, indicating the holder has exposed film in it?

Cheers,

I completely agree Graeme. Seems to me like at the very least it is a double exposure accident waiting to happen.

Plus you have added an 80 square inch wind sail to the side of the camera during the most critical period of making a photograph.

I was instructed a long time ago to use my LF equipment as it was intended and I still say that is very sound advice. There is a reason that a light trap is built into the film holder on each side and one side of the dark slide is white and the other black. But I guess if it works for you then go for it.

Cheers!

you know, I got rid of a SH 4x5 because of the weak springs. I think a trip to Ritter or someone to put strong springs and a bail would be a good idea.