Thread: Carbon Printing Query

Carbon Printing Query

Just in the midst of gathering supplies to coat and make some carbon prints (eventually).

Whilst up in the loft looking for a spare tap that wasn't used for a renovation, but now is getting used to replace a faulty one, I came across a bottle of ink for a Permajet CIS system for my Epson 2880 - the ink is the Matte black (only using the photo black for the digital prints).

Before I try it out - I was wondering if anyone could advise further - i.e it's been tried but it doesn't work satisfactorily (e.g stains or is insoluble), or perhaps it works but can give a neutral/warm/cooler tone.

Re: Carbon Printing Query

As pigment in the glop you mean? I can't comment, but I'd be concerned with the surfactants and possible dyes (for neutral grey) that may be added and that could leave a stain on the final print. I'd rather stick to materials with only the desired pigment (s) and innocent stuff like gum Arabic. Read: watercolor paints, acrylic paints and India inks without additional dyes (I have used an India ink that turned out to have a purple dye added to it to make it look a bit like iron gall ink - it stained the print horribly!)

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Make your life easy and use some Dick Blick's Black Cat india ink. Order it online from Dick Blick. Carbon is hard enough to do. So eliminate the ink as a possible problem. Trust me on this one. Good luck

I'm with Jim; better start with a known-to-work pigment. It's not like carbon is an expensive process in terms of materials (in fact, it's hard to beat in terms of costs!), but the learning curve is...challenging. I would have saved myself a number of lessons-learned-the-hard-way if I had had access to and the willingness to use the materials and procedures that others have tested extensively.

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look to see if there are any UK retailers. Any other tips or practical points otherwise not covered in your youtube videos Jim?

I tried cheap, third party ink from my printers maintenance tank and it worked fine. It hated the colour, though. Start off with India inks (avoid those with shellack, I've heard). I have tried several brands (but not this dick blick stuff as it's not available up here), and never had a problem. India ink is cheap and goes into glop lickety-split. I also use lamp black water colour paint in a tube... a more expensive option, but reliable.

I think even more important than ink is to choose a final transfer material that is easy to work with. Fixed out photo paper is ideal and it prevents a whole slew of issues that aren't really worth it, and take it from someone who tends to transfer onto self-sized art papers. Photo paper is a much quicker and more reliable route that yields better results than you'll likely manage yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    I think even more important than ink is to choose a final transfer material that is easy to work with. Fixed out photo paper is ideal and it prevents a whole slew of issues that aren't really worth it, and take it from someone who tends to transfer onto self-sized art papers. Photo paper is a much quicker and more reliable route that yields better results than you'll likely manage yourself.
    Thanks don't have any fixed out photo paper but got a box of the ADOX unsensitized paper from fotoimpex a while ago.

I have 100 sheet boxes of the Baryta..paper if anyone here is interested. ..I'll sell at cost 80/box