Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to 90mm XL

Alternative to 90mm XL

I've had my Schneider SA 90 XL for years and I love it...but I shoot almost exclusively with my Wista Sp these days and the opening behind the lens board of the optional wide angle bellows is just a little smaller than the back element meaning I end up stuck only using the 90, sacrificing the movements by only using the standard bellows which it does fit through or removing the back element in the field which I don't want to do.
    I'm thinking of selling it and trying to find something comparable that is ever so slightly smaller in the back. I'm looking for suggestions for a lens of equal quality?
    Any suggestions very welcome,
    Best,
    Jesse

Re: Alternative to 90mm XL

90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N

The XL can't be matched by another 90mm in terms of image circle, it has by far the largest IC of any modern 90mm.
    Image quality is matched by the likes of the Grandagon Bob listed, as well as the Nikon 90mm f4.5, the Fuji 90mm f5.6 or a Caltar 90mm f4.5

The Nikkor-SW 90mm 4.5 is a great performer, as well as the 90/4.5 Grandagon-N like Bob suggested. I currently use the Nikkor(on 5x7, so movements are a big tight), but it works well, and is VERY sharp.

-Dan

The 90mm f/8 Nikkor is the 90mm to beat as far as 4x5 goes.

Another vote for the 90/4.5 Grandagon-N. I bought a Schneider 90/5.6 XL a few years back (couldn't decide between the Schneider and Rodenstock and it was sort of a toss up). Love it, but in retrospect the Rodenstock might have been a slightly better choice. Its image circle is huge enough (not that much smaller than the XL's circle), and in exchange you get an extra half stop brightness for composition/focus.

Have you considered going down to a SA 72mm XL or up to a SS 110mm XL?
    -jeff

Quote Originally Posted by poorartist View Post
    ... the opening behind the lens board of the optional wide angle bellows is just a little smaller than the back element meaning I end up stuck ... Any suggestions very welcome,
    Best,
    Jesse
    Jesse,

I'm not sure about the bag bellows for the SP, but my Wista (wooden) SW has a bag bellows that incorporates a threaded ring for mounting to the back of the "naked" two-piece recessed lensboards. The ring is (was) held in with three small screws. I removed these and the ring. The bag bellows mounts to the rear of the front standard with the same clips and slider bar that the regular bellows uses. I did this to be able to use lenses on "normal" recessed Technika boards, which wouldn't fit with the threaded ring in place. The three screw holes are hidden by the front standard and pose no light-leak problems. If your bellows is similarly configured, removing the ring might give you enough more room to mount the XL.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    The 90mm f/8 Nikkor is the 90mm to beat as far as 4x5 goes.
    Does that mean that you personally have handled all of the othe Rodenstock, Fuji, Schneider and Nikon 90mm lenses? Or does that means that you do not have personal experience with all of the others?
    Since the 90mm Nikon has fall off just like all of the others, but Nikon never made center filters like Rodenstock, Schneider and Fuji did, how do you compensate for the fall off? Or do you just ignore it?

Bob, the Schneider CF for the 90mm f/8 SA seems to work very well with the 90mm f/8 Nikkor SW. I haven't used it myself but have seen several example images.