Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust travelwide first impressions

Re: Wanderlust travelwide first impressions

So if you wanted a longer lens for general use, like a 110 or 120, the 90mm camera should be able to handle it, right? Infinity would be available and you'd lose the ability to focus quite as close? You could just mark a manual scale on it for focusing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    So if you wanted a longer lens for general use, like a 110 or 120, the 90mm camera should be able to handle it, right? Infinity would be available and you'd lose the ability to focus quite as close? You could just mark a manual scale on it for focusing?
    It's conceivable that 110 would let you hit infinity, depending on the lens, but you won't have much room to focus closer unfortunately. The 120 is more of a stretch.

I don't imagine it will be too long before someone DIY's a "back" spacer and recalibrates the helical for a 120-125 focal length. I'd like to use a Rodenstock Ysarex 127 from a Polaroid 110 Pathfinder, or the Wollensak from same, both with the Prontor Shutter B to 300 with lock for exposure shift on the aperture lever.

This camera has a great array of possibilities for the more creative Gear Hounds.

It would be interesting to see the originators create a back extension in those ranges. I'm sure that's been thought of, including other accessories. Also sounds like a great 3D print exercise.

The Black Rapid camera shoulder strap would work pretty well on this. It attaches to the tripod mount. Though I think I'll be much more likely to carry it in a small photo bag with holders, light meter etc.

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    The Black Rapid camera shoulder strap would work pretty well on this. It attaches to the tripod mount. Though I think I'll be much more likely to carry it in a small photo bag with holders, light meter etc.
    A hand held camera with no strap is bound to hit the ground sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    My thought is to run some 1/2" wide nylon strap through the channel on the left side to serve as a hand strap. Seemed to work well enough for Weegee.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    In my case a camera with a strap is bound to hit the ground. For me the TW will be a camera I carry because I'm, say, running around the streets of NYC busy doing stuff other than photography like hitting all the galleries and museums that I can. Shooting is a huge maybe and the streets are too crowded to carry a camera around my neck. I found that pulling a camera out of my bag with a strap and untangling it from the other stuff in there is just as, if not moreso, prone to accidents. That said, the Black Rapid could attach to the TW just fine since it screws into the tripod socket for those who like to carry a camera around their neck. Easy peasy.

This reads like the complainers guide to the camera, yeesh. Mine has no loose baffling, the lens was easy to install (what LF shooter doesn't have a lens wrench??), and we were informed multiple times that the GG is only for calibration using the center. The helical on mine is certainly as loose as it needs to be. This is the not some SLR Zeiss lens that must have smooth sailing as we find perfect focus at 1.4. You're going to find your distance, take the camera from your eye, apply that distance to the scale, set you exposure, and then compose. It isn't difficult at all for that purpose. But yes, I paid $99 dollars for it. I did not expect an Ebony after I bought a Lomo. However, I for one was surprised by how nice this little thing really is. This is going to make shooting 4x5 landscapes even with a tripod a no-brainer because of the weight saved. I don't have any more excuses to skip LF, and that's a good thing. Oh, and just get a black rapid strap! SMH.

No one is complaining. The complainers have already posted theirs for sale. I read discussions on how we would like to make a very good camera even better for our own needs. After all, it is one of the most customizable cameras I have owned in a long time.

You are right. It is almost perfect for walking about and for hiking. An inexpensive, light duty monopod is the perfect companion and, if you shop around a bit, can even double as a walking stick.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

PPP
    Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    This reads like the complainers guide to the camera, yeesh. Mine has no loose baffling, the lens was easy to install (what LF shooter doesn't have a lens wrench??), and we were informed multiple times that the GG is only for calibration using the center. The helical on mine is certainly as loose as it needs to be. This is the not some SLR Zeiss lens that must have smooth sailing as we find perfect focus at 1.4. You're going to find your distance, take the camera from your eye, apply that distance to the scale, set you exposure, and then compose. It isn't difficult at all for that purpose. But yes, I paid $99 dollars for it. I did not expect an Ebony after I bought a Lomo. However, I for one was surprised by how nice this little thing really is. This is going to make shooting 4x5 landscapes even with a tripod a no-brainer because of the weight saved. I don't have any more excuses to skip LF, and that's a good thing. Oh, and just get a black rapid strap! SMH.
    Shared experiences and hints on possible improvements is what I see mostly. This camera just begs to be modified. Non destructively of course. About the focusing. I'm sure it varies unit to unit. In my sample the helical became so hard to turn that the rubber focus indicator was bunching up because I had to grip the focus collar so hard. I finally took a look at the helical and thought that reducing the flashing in the valleys might help. Sure enough, that worked. I now have snug but smoothly operating focusing.