Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Komura lens

Komura lens

A long time ago, (mid 70's-early '80's), I had a Komura lens on my BJ field camera. Back then, I did not know "nothing", but I recall this about that lens. It was a "convertible". By unscrewing the back element, the lens of course became smaller, lighter & became more of a soft portrait lens, if I recall. I do not know the focal length of the lens, but I think in may have been in the 150-300 range.

I parted with this lens prior to my knowing anything. I should have kept it in hindsight. This lens was given to me, and I should have kept it.

Does anyone know what this lens might have been, who has one, what are your comments regarding this lens, what is the value of this lens et al.

Raymond

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Re: Komura lens

komura's seem like very good lenses, I recently bought a 300 T because of how low the price was, came in a perfect copal 1 shutter, I figured the shutter was worth almost what I paid for the lens turns out its a great performer
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Komura lenses were never very common in the UK, the few I saw or heard about were very good lenses. It's interesting that they made a 152mm f2.8 for 5x4 cameras. I used some Komura lenses on a friends Bronica S1a when I did occasional stringer work for him (a stringer is a second photographer covering for another photographer, or working alongside).

Komura were pushing the boundaries, some excellent early zoom lenses, fast 3rd party alternative prime lenses.

IAn

I thank all of you for your responses. In checking out the info which was provided to my question, I have yet to see any particular Kamura lens which was mentioned as a "convertible". Any of you know of such a Komura lens??
    Raymond

The 152mm f/2.8 Komura (they had a 3.5 version as well) was their version of the Xenotar.

Ed, that's interesting. Do you know if the Komura was as good as the Schneider offerings?

I recently got a Komura 400 f/8 telephoto given to me.
    I finally took a photo with it yesterday, but have not had a chance to develop it yet.
    However I can tell you from my research that they do have a very good reputation.
    I also have a Schneider 360/5.5 Tele-Xenar, barrel lens, and from what I read the Komura should blow the Schneider away.
    I will only know after some testing.

Not sure: re Komura vs. Schneider as far as the Xenotar and clone. I expect it was probably pretty good - but as good as Schneider? hard to say. The earlier xenotars used lanthanum/thorium glass which helped their performance, I expect later ones may not have. Not sure on the Komuras.

btw, the Tele-Xenar 360 is a pretty decent lens overall, I wouldn't expect night-and-day improvement by the Komura, but it might be somewhat better.

-Ed

My experience with the fast Komura lenses was that my f3.5 was a really good lens--sharp and pretty resistant to flare, especially stopped down just a little to f4. My f2.8 version was less so, and had notable vignetting (well, dim corners, not really vignetting) open to f2.8.

Compared to the Xenotar lenses, the f3.5 Komura was equal (but note that it was a 150mm compared to a 135mm Xenotar). The f2.8 version was not equal, and I didn't keep it long. Of course, I am only comparing one set of Komura lenses to a few different Xenotar lenses.

I don't think any of the Komura lenses used rare elements in the glass, but don't know for sure.