Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Space Photography

Re: Space Photography

I had heard that in the beginning, engineers did not take space photography seriously, as they thought that film would be hopelessly fogged by radiation in that environment... The Glenn camera was something that he had pressed for just to see if it would work anyway...

I attended a screening of one of the IMAX shuttle/Hubble repair films that was being considered for an Oscar... There was a Q&A after the screening, and I finally had a chance to ask the filmmaker about what happens to that large format long roll (almost a mile long) of film while in the radiation of space!?!! He said that was a VERY good question, and then spent 10 or 15 minutes explaining the big technical problems that they faced with it, and that the first films were hopelessly fogged, as the fast filmstock was prone to fogging, but found the medium speed stocks were just barely OK for shorter missions, but needed a film safe for longer flights... He said manned Mars flights were going to be a digital affair...

Steve K

2 Bit Hack

In the early 1980's there were the SIR-A and SIR-B missions from the space shuttle, SIR being Shuttle Imaging Radar. I have had the honor of personally handling and learning photo interpretation from this imagery. While is was not film based it was proof that ground penetrating radar was feasible.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Bob Salomon would know for sure, but I believe that on some shuttle missions they used a Linhof Aero Technika with a 5" roll back.
    Very good. Thanks. Here's a photo of Tom Jones with the camera. Far easier to muscle it in micro-gravity! Jones mentions that they got 100 exposures per roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post

NASA recently put all 8400 0f the Apollo Mission photos on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/projec...archive/albums
    Thats pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Why would Bob Salomon know for sure?
    I look forward to some authoritative info.
    Because I am the one that sold the Linhof Aero Technikas to NASA and I am also the one trained the astronauts on how to use the cameras at NASA.

Drew Wiley

Wow. What a great opportunity, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Because I am the one that sold the Linhof Aero Technikas to NASA and I am also the one trained the astronauts on how to use the cameras at NASA.
    I was hoping that was the case. Thank you, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It was an interesting experience, especially trying to figure out how to change the film at the end of the roll. They could not, or would not, turn off the lights inside the Shuttle. They thought about hanging a changing bag on a wall surface but decided against that. To our great pleasure they finally decided to just buy and carry spare vacuum roll backs.
    But that was a lot easier then how they decided to change 70mm rolls on the Rollei 6008 cameras that we also sold them. The Rollei used modified Mamiya 70mm backs from the RZ. But to fit the modification the dark slide had to slide into a surface with a slight curve to it. That meant that if not done just right the slide would hang up. Unfortunately the slide was thin enough to be slightly sharp. And when the Astronaught applied some force their hand could slip and the could cut themselves. NASA looked askance at blood particles flooding around the cabin. So they decidided to leave the slides at home and just also bought additional backs for when they had to change film.
    If you do a search for Bob Cabana you might be able to see a shot of him juggling the 6008s and lenses during a mission.

http://airandspace.si.edu/collection...m_A19700228000

If you go to the air and space web site you can search on Hasselblad and see photos of some of the cameras and accessories in their collection. It is interesting stuff to look at.

Bob there is a lady at Air and Space about to write a book on this topic. PM me and I will put you in touch with her. She might be very interested in listening to your story. Right now this is a story that has largely been untold.

See my link to the interview that NASA did with Richard W. Underwood. It is interesting.
    **PRO**