Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for someone who makes Busch Pressman boards

Re: Looking for someone who makes Busch Pressman boards

Hi Gary, would you sell the Pressman boards as unassembled ?

I have some photos and the dimensions for the inside of the Busch D press camera lens board if anyone is interested.

Please post the pics and dimensions. That's valuable information!

Just Some Guy

Unassembled? Do you mean the raw parts, no milled slot or hole? Sure, why not. Going to PM to keep actual sales out of the discussion.

I should do the same regarding the dimensions, for comparative purposes:

Front section of board:
    - Nominally 3 inches square with radiused corners and 0.060 inches thick, my two original boards are 2.990 - 2.995 inches square. After all these years I still don't have a radius guage, but they look the same as those on the rear section, about 0.160 - 0.0175 inches

Rear section of board:
    - Appears to be 0.080 inches thick
    - Is 2.44 inches square, with radiused corners, square section is centered to the front section.. Corners appear to have a radius of about 0.160 - 0.175 inches.
    - Retaining tab is bent so that it's lower side is in line with the top of the square section.
    - Retaining tab top is 0.215 inches from top of board, is 0.750 inches wide, and extends 0.315 inches from the rear side of the board.
    - Hole in tab is about 0.075 inches in diameter, and is centered about 0.150 inches from the rear side of the board.

I've always just gone with a plain flat board and I've never heard of any problems, but if you're concerned with potential light leakage I'd suggest adhesive-backed black "foamies". It's a dense closed cell neoprene-looking stuff, generally available in craft stores/sections in a variety of thicknesses. The adhesive backed stuff might be a little harder to find, but, um, double-stick tape, like "carpet tape". Cheap, easy to cut, very non-reflective if you get the stuff without sparklies, should make a great light trap.

Geez, I've got to get some sleep in here somewhere ... and not wake myself up because I'm doing work in my sleep!

Busch Pressman D

Thank you to Gary Deal for the dimensions.
    I had already done some measurements; if mine are different, use those that Gary gave.

Picture of the back.
    Dimensions in metric.

What might be helpful is a better picture of the retaining tab, and I will try to add that later.

Jac, what part of the lens board is the "inside block" you mention in your measurements ?

This drawing is off my OEM Pressman model D lens board, the measurements in the drawing are as I took them with my calipers
    and seem pretty close to Jac's measurements.
    An interesting note is that the board I have has a ever so slight top and bottom bevel, more so on the bottom the sides seem square,
    possibly as a relief for the lens board to tilt out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pressman D lensboard.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	150889

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Jac, what part of the lens board is the "inside block" you mention in your measurements ?
    Jim, the "inside block" is the expressed (raised) part of the inside of the front board. I am neither an engineer nor draftsman, so forgive my crude description, please.

One nuisance for an amateur like me is the placement of the hole for the lensboard lock hole. It happens to be exactly at the intersection line of the inside (second layer of the) board and the tab. I would make a tab, screw down the lock, mark the position and drill.

Illustrations such as yours make it all more clear.

Thanks for being there with good info.
    --
    Jac Stafford

No worries, naming unnamed parts on old cameras can be daunting, you say tomato I say tamata as the old song goes.

I had made some boards when I first got a Pressman D, same as the OEM one, how I wished I had a spot welder to fasten the inner
    board rebate that has the tab back then. I screwed them together.

I used the lensboard lock screw to mark the hole on the tab, inked in the tab with a black Sharpie, installed the board and spun the lock screw
    against the tab and that left a clean mark for me to center punch and drill. If I recall correctly I started the hole small and upped the sizes
    till I had a good engagement. They were all wire gauge size drills.

Edited my previous post, I noticed I had a duplicate attachment, I deleted the duplicate attachment that was the same as the inline picture,
    the inline picture is clearer in terms of which way the side view drawing of the board is oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Deal View Post
    I've received the parts. Barring some other catastrophe, I'll be working on them this weekend in with everything else.

It'll be good to do something that doesn't involve a computer screen, I've been pushing vectors, coding, and photographing tiny parts for almost a year solid.
    So....just wondering how it's going? No pressure.

Just Some Guy

Getting there, anyway. Too many other things taking up my time and brainpower, but I have some slots cut and a couple of tabs attached. See your inbox.