Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallmeyer 6A Lens

Dallmeyer 6A Lens

Hello everyone,

recently I picked up a Dallmeyer 6A lens. Since there is no info about that lens in the internet, I want to share some pictures with you.
    Attachment 141136Attachment 141137
    What I know about this lens that is was sold in Dec. 1871 to Liesegang. Does anyone know the focal length? There are some varying info (22" or 30") around.

Cheers!

Re: Dallmeyer 6A Lens

Well the "correct answer" is 30" and covers up to 20x16".

But you never can tell! This is obviously a special order as fixed mounts (as opposed to sleeves and tangential focussing) are very unusual this early in Dallmeyer' Patent Portrait production. Although the standard aperture is F4 for series A, there is a note in a later catalogue that the 6a has an aperture of F4.7. Dallmeyer could have made a version of the 6a in 6a brass with a reduced focal length to maintain the "rapid" tradition.

At first glance it does look like a forgery, but obviously the engraving looks different as it is not compressed as usual between the Waterhouse cut-out and the raised base. The usual semi-circular marks of the softness adjustment are clear in your second photo.

Thanks Steven! I measured the focal length and it is about 80cm, so 30" could be correct.
    This is obviously a special order as fixed mounts (as opposed to sleeves and tangential focussing) are very unusual this early in Dallmeyer' Patent Portrait production.
    It can be that Liesegang bought a special order - as a potential concurence?! - maybe I can ask the if they still have some archived info about the lens!
    At first glance it does look like a forgery.
    I wondered about the cleanliness of the brass, surely it was cleaned or kept in perfect condition through the years. That the lens can be found in the Dallmeyer archive speaks against a forgery... Hope so
    The usual semi-circular marks of the softness adjustment are clear in your second photo.
    Do you mean the marks on the (in the picture) top of the lens? Do you know how that works to soften the picture?

where did you pick it up ?
    the lens looks like a Dallmeyer lens, but engraving looks fake to me. in the Dallmeyer archive you can find the serial number, not the lens itself.

Got it from a friend who owned it for many years. He did some astronomic pictures with it and had it in his basement for years.

Several things look right, the notches at the rear element fixture. And the long threaded rear, which I've only seen on Dallmeyers, albeit their "D" series.

Some things may look wrong, like the wide threads for the flange (looks more like a TTH pitch) the hood, or engraving. But I'd bet it's real. Perhaps they had to get it engraved differently, because of it's size.

That looks just like my 5A, which is also from the 1870s. I don't think it is counterfeit. My 5A--which has been cross checked with the Dallmeyer archives--has those same wide threads, ribbed rear barrel, and the same shaped hood. I don't recall what the engraving looks like, but will take a look this evening.

In theory, you (and we) can check the Dallmeyer stock book pages under its serial number and patent portrait list for size 6 in the A series. There won't be many. I couldn't open the right pages this morning, but the previous list (chronologically) has just 4 examples of size 6. With Mr. Longstaff as main maker and who probably made yours as well!

btw - the long threaded rear is also found on Dallmeyer-Bergheim lenses. i've never seen it on a lens of other brand than Dallmeyer.
    engraving fake or not, a 30" Petzval is a good find, congratulations. i hope it will get used to make some pictures.

Thanks for your opinions and assessments.
    Does anyone have a picture of a 6A? I would love to compare the lenses

Despite of all what is right or wrong with that lens, I think it has an interesting story to tell. And for sure, it will be used for wet plates. And: I don't sell the lens, please don't write messages.
    The next big step is to find or build a camera for this baby