Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a Folmer & Schwing 12X20 - Advice?

Re: Shipping a Folmer & Schwing 12X20 - Advice?

Does it have to be FedEx? I give it a 50/50 shot of getting destroyed by FedEx. They are a terrible shipping company IMO.

If you take it to a UPS store they will pack it themselves and insure it, which may cost a little more, but it is 100% covered for sure - they can't come back and say you didn't pack it properly if it gets broken, since they did it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

That won't cost a little more... it'll cost a LOT more.

Double boxes are essential for precious gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    That won't cost a little more... it'll cost a LOT more.
    Well, it might be worth it, considering the camera. I've done it once before when I was shipping a Nikon LS-8000 that was sold for almost $2k, and the "extra" service fee was only $20-30 IIRC.

You might be right, Corran. However, the couple of times I asked the UPS Store to pack very large items for me the shipping fee went from $50 to $150 or more. You can buy an awful lot of third-party insurance for $150-200.

Very true that the large size may be the deciding factor. I do also know from experience that shipping companies are quick to blame poor packing by the customer as a way to get out of an insurance claim*. I don't know anything about 3rd-party insurance though.

*I dealt with FedEx for months to get a $1,000 claim on a package they destroyed that had a custom camera in it, that was ruined. Not fun.

I bought an 11x14 camera that was shipped to me. It was packed quite well with very generous amounts of bubble wrap. The ground glass was protected with layers of foam and taped securely. Be sure camera parts are taped, cushioned, padded so they can't move or slip relative to each other. The box was very large compared to the 11x14 camera dimensions, and did its job well.

fwiw, when I got my Korona 7x17, it was shipped in the hard case for the camera with no outside cardboard box. looked like a smaller steamer trunk basically. had slots for lenses and holders and the seller taped down all the latches and that was it. camera arrived safe and sound and it was a beast of a package which may have helped in that it was too heavy to toss around lol
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

That's true... but I have a new one for you. I bought two 4x5 monorail cameras from one seller... maybe twelve years ago. He shipped them in one large package but very well packed. I filed a damage claim due to damage to both cameras. I took the entire package with contents to the local UPS depot where the manager promptly told me, "That damage can't have been caused during transport be cause the items were too well packed". And this is with two giant holes all the way through the boxes (outer and inner boxes) that could only have been made by a fork lift stabbing all the way through. So yes... UPS insurance can be completely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Very true that the large size may be the deciding factor. I do also know from experience that shipping companies are quick to blame poor packing by the customer as a way to get out of an insurance claim*. I don't know anything about 3rd-party insurance though.

*I dealt with FedEx for months to get a $1,000 claim on a package they destroyed that had a custom camera in it, that was ruined. Not fun.

I have used the method Randy outlined for years with no problems. Do put cardboard to protect the ground glass and I strongly suggest purchasing insurance. I have never had a problem collecting (no more that your usual auto claim...) when I needed it (twice in twenty years). Frankly, if you pack properly it will arrive in one piece; you are buying insurance for when they lose the package or misdeliver it.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”