Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Getting attacked

Re: Getting attacked

You do know how to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly scat, don't you? Black bear scat has berries in it. Grizzly scat has little silver colored bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

Drew Wiley

How about getting dived at by owls or hawks? Great way to get holes in your bellows as well as your scalp!

Swans! I was once charged by a mother swan protecting her young'uns. I swear she was 6 feet tall...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Had two garter snakes in the yards and one kept attacking my shoe while I was shooting. Then while shooting one of those little Florida lizards on my wife's hook it lunged and got my finger. But my brother got bitten by a monkey at the old Stamford Museum's zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    The best midge repellant is supposed to be Avon Skin So Soft dry body oil!
    When I was in Arran I was told that the best midge repellent was drinking the local beer. It was an experiment I was prepared to try.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    When I was in Arran I was told that the best midge repellent was drinking the local beer. It was an experiment I was prepared to try.

Steve.
    Did it work or don't you remember?

I didn't have a midge problem... But that didn't stop me trying the remedy!

Steve.

I was swarmed over by tourists in Canyonlands N.P. last year. As aggravating as a bug inside the bellows, one even managed to get in a photo. I didn't see him until it was too late. And the shot would have been lovely without his blurred image. Probably worse were a few kids leaping across my gear on the ground, no kidding. At least no one, not a one, asked questions about the 8x10 Deardorff.

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    The best midge repellant is supposed to be Avon Skin So Soft dry body oil! Smells (a bit) better than insecticides too they say.
    Not sure if it works - never tried it. Probably not with NZ Sand Flies!
    No it does not. Sand Flies -- nothing like a cloud of them circling the enterance of your backpacking tent, waiting for your bladder to force you out!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

The midges probably just got inebriated themselves drinking your blood, then passed out before you noticed them. Tourists are another issue. My wife wanted to
    drive up Haleakala recently while we staying on Maui. The light was wonderful, and remarkably, it wasn't windy. But just as we arrived at the overlook, so did a
    huge tour bus full of young Japanese tourists. I thought to myself, O Crap! But as they piled off the bus, nearly all them congregated around the parking lot taking pictures of each other plus selfies, gabbing, flirting, etc, and nearly none even bothered to walk a few yards to view the sight they had allegedly come to see, and had obviously paid for. So me and my wife were uninterrupted in terms of any photographs we wanted; and I got some nice ones. But that experience also reinforced my stereotype that bus tourists are themselves basically mindless gnat swarms that you can never really predict.