Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting attacked

2 Bit Hack

Re: Getting attacked

Hmmm, I have an abandoned golf course as an extension to my front yard. I wander out at night camera on tripod over my shoulder in my Birkenstocks to photograph lightning. Sometime I accidently setup right over a fire ant mound. I hate fire ants. I react to the bites with blisters two days later.

Set up at sunset one evening just as the sun was setting behind a thunderstorm. Looked down and a water moccasin was slithering toward me. I did not have anything resembling a square nosed shovel so I moved. First time for everything. This was the most recent of many run ins I have had with cotton mouths. This was the first one that got away.

While trying do some work on pond bathymetry, the crew (city slickers from Atlanta) got curious about the black 2 ft diameter squirming mass on a stump in a pond. They approached until they realized it was a black wasp nest. They were smart enough not to throw rocks at it. Though they were in the middle of a pond. They had to clear the brush from the dam of said pond and found a white hornets nest. I have found both in the small swampy area between the house and the river. I avoid them.

I have been here over 10 years now but have yet to see a gator despite my neighbor finding one in her yard last year.....as well as a nest of timber rattlers in her shed. I have heard stories about small annoying dogs and house cats going missing.

And then there was the 5 ft long timber rattler my dogs found in the tall grass of the golf course. I could hear the rattler from 30 ft away....it suffered a tragic death by square nosed shovel. I have the rattle. That snake is the reason I now mow that part of the golf course in front of my house.

This place has numerous critters that appear in my yard, alligator turtles, some rare terrapin, great horned owls, coyotes, wild hogs, deer, wild turkey, and one particular red tailed hawk that in the last year has decimated the mockingbird and blue jay population.

I try to photograph each and every critter I come across but some are more illusive than others.
    Regards

Marty

Some great stories here! I haven't read all of them so it might have been mentioned already but here in Scotland all the best mountains and lochs are on the west side of the country where it's cooler and wetter (Atlantic coast). You can't go 5 yards without attracting your own personalised swarm of biting midges. They did an experimental eradication once to include destroying the eggs that they lay in the ground. The whole ecology of the eradicated area fell to pieces - no spiders, no birds - nothing.
    So we are stuck with them. They get on your lens too so some great photos get ruined - even TV cameras (are they LF?!) show them up and you can see the reporters are being bitten to h...!

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    Some great stories here! I haven't read all of them so it might have been mentioned already but here in Scotland all the best mountains and lochs are on the west side of the country where it's cooler and wetter (Atlantic coast). You can't go 5 yards without attracting your own personalised swarm of biting midges. They did an experimental eradication once to include destroying the eggs that they lay in the ground. The whole ecology of the eradicated area fell to pieces - no spiders, no birds - nothing.
    So we are stuck with them. They get on your lens too so some great photos get ruined - even TV cameras (are they LF?!) show them up and you can see the reporters are being bitten to h...!
    Then,I should mention the mighty West Coast Sandfly (West Coast of New Zealand's South Island).
    Legend has it that hardy locals would drink a spoonful of Kerosine to repel the hordes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gordon Bilson View Post
    Then,I should mention the mighty West Coast Sandfly (West Coast of New Zealand's South Island).
    Legend has it that hardy locals would drink a spoonful of Kerosine to repel the hordes.
    The best midge repellant is supposed to be Avon Skin So Soft dry body oil! Smells (a bit) better than insecticides too they say.
    Not sure if it works - never tried it. Probably not with NZ Sand Flies!

One or two coincidences Ian. Dunedin was I think the original name for Edinburgh which is where I'm from. Ian is my brother's name. My name is Gordon. A little town just 2 miles from where I live is called Bilston - with a "t"! Mining town.
    Regards,
    Gordon

Oh yeah, I remember getting swarmed at Milford by those buggers!

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    The best midge repellant is supposed to be Avon Skin So Soft dry body oil! Smells (a bit) better than insecticides too they say.
    Not sure if it works - never tried it. Probably not with NZ Sand Flies!
    Avon Skin So Soft works quite well here in the Southern USA until you start sweating. After about an hour I usually go inside, cool off and reapply more SOS. I have to be more careful nowadays since the West Nile virus is showing up in more and more places.

Only been attacked by two species (apart from the two-legged type) - midges in Scotland and Aedes Aegypti mosquitoes in Brazil - which just happened to be carrying Dengue Fever and laid me out for three months...

Neil

I carry an old pair of rubber boots that come in very handy. Snakebite proof if you step on something, fire ant resistant, Poison Ivy repellant, sticker and thorn proof, Tick and chigger barrier, et. Was very glad I had them at Mont St Michele while mucking around the base and crucial climbing through briars on the bay side. The underfoot can be distracting. Plus waterproof.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2522.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	144097

Pit Bulls................at the cemetery in Hernandez where AA shot Moonrise. They were quietly sneaking up on me while I was under the darkcloth. A historian who was with me but was on the other side of the church came around the corner and saw them and warned me not to move till I heard him yell then yell too and waive my darkcloth at them. Then he grabbed a big stick and ran at them shouting at the top of his lungs while I yelled and waived the dark cloth. THe dogs were so confused at that point that they took off running and we got the hell out of there too.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"