Thread: Horseman Binocular Viewer

Horseman Binocular Viewer

I would like to make the Horseman binocular viewer (the one with scissors) work on my Graflex Super-D.

Anybody know what is required?

And a related question: Will this viewer work on anything other than Horseman or Toyo cameras? (i.e. Speed Graphic with Graflok back).

Thanks,

Rolfe

Re: Horseman Binocular Viewer

I looked at one on eBay. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it will attach to the rear (in place of the folding hood) of most international backs' focusing panels. It has a pair of pins at one end and a spring-loaded latch at the other.

This http://web.archive.org/web/200703210...MP4_viewer.htm may be of interest.

Why can't you use y'r Super D's viewer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I looked at one on eBay. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it will attach to the rear (in place of the folding hood) of most international backs' focusing panels. It has a pair of pins at one end and a spring-loaded latch at the other.

This http://web.archive.org/web/200703210...MP4_viewer.htm may be of interest.

Why can't you use y'r Super D's viewer?
    Because I find it pretty hard to find focus with the Super D viewer, even with a Beattie screen. The distance seems to be between my near vision with readers and my distant vision with contacts. I thought that the Horseman viewer might be a good solution, and I have seen it done but it must be a custom fit by SK Grimes or somebody else.

Rolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    Because I find it pretty hard to find focus with the Super D viewer, even with a Beattie screen. The distance seems to be between my near vision with readers and my distant vision with contacts. I thought that the Horseman viewer might be a good solution, and I have seen it done but it must be a custom fit by SK Grimes or somebody else.

Rolfe
    I have a similar problem finding the right GG viewing distance.

I do not find relief! with this model. https://www.keh.com/265904/large-for...t-folding-type.

I am very myopic and usually use no glasses of any kind or loupe, but stick my bare eye right up to the GG and that works under a darkcloth.
    Tin Can

I use a +2 closeup lens at the top of the viewing chimney with my RB SuperD. It works well, corrects the close-focus distance for me. Whomever designed the chimney viewers on the SUperD could focus closer than I can at this point. ;-)

A better option than the horseman would be replace the viewing chimney with a straight-on viewer from Cambo, or maybe the 90-degree version attached to the graflok back. Either one of those would work well, and likely be an easier mod than the Horseman. (plus lighter and cheaper)

I have some closeup lenses around here someplace -- I'll give that a try! I have never seen a straight-on viewer from Cambo -- all I see are the 90 degree versions on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    I have never seen a straight-on viewer from Cambo -- all I see are the 90 degree versions on eBay.
    Cambo's part number is T-21. It seems to be pretty scarce compared to the T-20 reflex version.

I use a Horseman inline viewer on my 4x5 Graflex Super D and 4x5 Auto Graflex but I had to custom make an adapter mount for each camera. I use the viewer constantly and I love it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	140776

Good idea to use an adjustable bellows for viewing gg.

Nice rig, I have trouble with bag mags, they jam on me, maybe I am not violent enough...
    Tin Can

That is exactly what I was thinking of!

What was involved in fashioning an adapter?

Rolfe